Windscreen replacement

Body parts, seats, dash, headlining, windows and stuff!

Moderator: Board Moderators

Kerry
Junior Poster

Windscreen replacement

Post by Kerry »

I wonder if anyone can help me?. I have purchased a new windscreen from Lotus Bits as I have water coming in and have tried everything else. I have taken it to a Professional windscreen installer and after removing the screws to the trims he has found that the screen has been glued into position! Has anyone had this experience and have you a solution please?

Many thanks

Kerry

AndyC
Senior Poster
Model: SE x2 + Celebration x2
Colour: Gold,blue and green
Year: 1987

Re: Windscreen replacement

Post by AndyC »

On an Excel? (asking in case it's another model).
All Excels had windscreens bonded in place. Do you mean the trims have been bonded in place (that's not how I read the post)?

The side trims are generally located by screws into the body work and by silicone or similar to hold it to the body, but not bonded/ glued to the glass.

Kerry
Junior Poster

Post by Kerry »

Hi Andy,

Sorry for the confusion. Yes the trims have been glued in position for some reason. The gentleman took out the screws but both trims are glued on Position! Don't know why this would be but I don't know how to overcome this.

Kerry

AndyC
Senior Poster
Model: SE x2 + Celebration x2
Colour: Gold,blue and green
Year: 1987

Post by AndyC »

As long as they are glued to the body then that's fine, Remove screws and door seal then use a knife (the retracting snap-off blade type are good, as a Stanley type will be too short) to go between the body and the trims, it needs to be done a little at a time to start with as you really want to get a small wedge between the two surfaces as soon as you can, else you end up snapping the knife blades.
Edit: Suggest starting at the bottom, in case the top is glued to the body.

Alan_M
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE, Excel SA, Elan SE
Colour: Red, red, white

Post by Alan_M »

When I took my windscreen out the A post covers were bonded to the glass with silicone type material. I checked at the time and this is correct as per the service notes. So what you have found is correct and how they left the factory.

I used a long thin flexible bladed kitchen knife to cut through the silicone.

Kerry
Junior Poster

Post by Kerry »

Thank you both for the advice, greatly appreciated. The windscreen was successfully replaced yesterday. The screws were removed and a long 'knife' for want of a better word, was run either side of the trims and lo and behold the came away without damage.

Thank you both once again,.

Kerry