Next silly question.. Sound deadening/underlay materialll

Body parts, seats, dash, headlining, windows and stuff!

Moderator: Board Moderators

Zaphod
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Blue
Year: 1990

Next silly question.. Sound deadening/underlay materialll

Post by Zaphod »

OK, next thing I need to locate and acquire is the foam backed rubber stuff that is on the transmission tunnel and floors under the carpet.. Pretty sure it's available somewhere, and that I have seen it.. but not sure what its called to search for it!. I only need it for the drivers side floor, the rest of it is pretty much intact and just needs new carpet putting over it. oddly the remains of the drivers side carpet seem to be glued directly to the floor as though it never had any on that side!
Of all the things I have lost I think I miss my mind the most...

1952 MG TD
1957 MGA 1500
1959 Austin Healey Sprite
1975 MG Midget 1500
1990 Lotus Excel

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Re: Next silly question.. Sound deadening/underlay materialll

Post by Pete Boole »

I don't know if the sound deadening stuff in the Excel has a name but it's basically mass-loaded vinyl bonded to open cell foam. I use Tecsound (aluminium foil covered/self adhesive) over fire-retardant open cell acoustic foam. You can get both in different thicknesses.

Pete

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Oddly, the remains of the driver's side carpet seem to be glued directly to the floor, as though it never had any on that side!
The gas pedal sweeps close to the floor, so whatever insulation/carpet you put on that side, needs not to move.

Maybe the PO had a leak into the driver's footwell and, because the insulation holds galleons of water ... forever, they removed the insulation, and like I say, any trim in the drivers footwell should not be able to move under the pedal ...ever, so sensibly, they stuck it to the floor.
Peter K

Zaphod
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Blue
Year: 1990

Post by Zaphod »

Lotus-e-Clan wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 22:07
Oddly, the remains of the driver's side carpet seem to be glued directly to the floor, as though it never had any on that side!
The gas pedal sweeps close to the floor, so whatever insulation/carpet you put on that side, needs not to move.
Mine has a fixing through the fibreglass just by the throttle pedal, I assume this is factory, it was a bit of a pain getting it out! I'm going to be so pleased when the interior is back in, hoping to have that done and the car running end of august bank holiday.. We shall see what the car comes up with to delay that.. I have the carptes, headlining and some leather painting to do as well as 2 helicoils on the head for the exhaust cam carrier, On the plus side I know I have a working fuel pump, ignition and correct tappet clearances. After that I need to find it some tyres (the ones on the car date from 1999, it was taken off the road 2001)
Of all the things I have lost I think I miss my mind the most...

1952 MG TD
1957 MGA 1500
1959 Austin Healey Sprite
1975 MG Midget 1500
1990 Lotus Excel