Breather pipe- bumper in place?

Body parts, seats, dash, headlining, windows and stuff!

Moderator: Board Moderators

AndyC
Senior Poster
Model: SE x2 + Celebration x2
Colour: Gold,blue and green
Year: 1987

Breather pipe- bumper in place?

Post by AndyC »

I've replaced fuel tank breather pipes before, but each time I've done it with the bumper out of the way. I was wondering whether I could manage to replace it all the way from thee tank to the bumper, but leave thee bumper where it is. I have a few ideas at present (wire to try and "fish" it through, or, string through the existing and new pipe so as one gets pulled out the other follows it to the hole in the bumper) but |I can't help but think I'm likely to spend more time on futile attempts than if I just bite the bullet and drill the rivets, even if I leave the main bolts in place but just get enough sag to get my hands in for thee final part of the job.

Anybody successfully replaced the pipe and got the new bit to come through the Excel bumper hole without much hassle? If so how?

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white
Year: 1986

Re: Breather pipe- bumper in place?

Post by bash »

I taped the new pipe to the end of the old one and luckily pulled it through. How pleased was I, not so pleased though when I put my high pressure pump inside the tank and accidentally pulled the new(ish) pipe and it disappeared behind the bumper, bugger. Another job.
Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

KevW
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Year: 1992

Post by KevW »

I found it possible to feed the new pipe from the inside of the boot down behind the bumper so that it came out under the car. It still allows the fumes to vent and I prefer that to using the original exit hole in the bumper. I think it's neater than having a pvc tube poking through the bumper.

I also now never get asked "do you know you've got a bit of tube loose?"
Kev W no.282

gusexcel
Junior Poster

Post by gusexcel »

Mine is rotten

Can it be pulled through when it is far gone or will it just break off inside the body somewhere?

John
Regular Poster

Post by John »

I replaced mine recently but took the bumper off because I had some paint to sort anyway. The pipe on mine had broken in several places, so using it to pull through a new pipe may not have worked too well. My guess is you could try pushing some wire up through the hole in the bumper and see if you can catch hold of it from within the boot, attach new pipe, then pull it through, but I'm not sure about access with bumper in place.

Don't make the mistake I made when buying the pipe. The Lotus parts list states the length required, 3 metres I think, but this is too short, no matter how you route it! I ended up having to order more and join it. Order a metre more than you think you need.

Cheers John

AndyC
Senior Poster
Model: SE x2 + Celebration x2
Colour: Gold,blue and green

Post by AndyC »

Thanks everybody, it seems that in my case I may just try the wire in the middle method and if (when) it fails, I'll drill out the rivets (installed less than 3 weeks ago, before I knew there was a fuel smell). The pipe is quite rotten so I think taping it will lead to a new pipe attached to a very short section of old pipe.
If I end up with less pipe than needed, I'll be very surprised. I have 100m, I got some several years ago and that was a big reel, occasionally I need if to do other jobs so it's then there whenever I need it.

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Post by Hawaiis0 »

I've exited mine through the spare wheel well drain hole
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Post by MetBlue »

I replaced mine recently but had bumper off for other reasons. There are P clips behind the bumper as Lotus build it. I think they'd be very difficult to thread through with bumper in place.
My experience was also that the pipe breaks up behind the carpet where it is in contact with the glue. Once past the light, it was in good condition.
I refitted the bumper with screw inserts rather than rivets, so can remove easily in future if needed.
Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

AlSmith
Junior Poster
Colour: Red
Year: 1990

Post by AlSmith »

I was lucky and managed to replace the fuel breather pipe with the bumper on.

One of the lower rivets securing the rear of the bumper was missing, this allowed me to feed the pipe into the bumper from the boot and carefully pulling down on the rear lower section of the bumper hook the fuel pipe. Then it was a case off feeding a stiff piece of wire through pipe exit hole and out the back of the bumper, attaching the pipe to it and pulling it back through again. Followed by replacing the missing river 😀

Alan_M
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE, Excel SA, Elan SE
Colour: Red, red, white

Post by Alan_M »

As said by Tony, there are P clips behind the bumper the pipe runs through. I doubt you would be be able to feed the pipe through these without removing the bumper.

Ps what is everyone using for breather hose at the moment as have to replace one of mine.

John
Regular Poster

Post by John »

I got mine from SJ, but I don't recall seeing any markings on it. I'm aware of the problems that ethanol poses for older fuel systems, and I plan to look into what's used in my Excel from tank to carbs, and identify parts that could deteriorate with E5 and E10 fuel.

There's a number of international standards covering fuel hoses, DIN, ISO, SAE, but the one I've found mention of most often is the SAE standard called J30 that cover's high and low pressure hose for fuels and oils There's an R number suffix that covers the rating for pressure and ethanol resistance, and currently it appears that J30 R9 is the one most resistant to modern petrol. Not sure if it's available in the required bore sizes though.

I'll post an update once I've completed my investigation.

Cheers John

Alan_M
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE, Excel SA, Elan SE
Colour: Red, red, white

Post by Alan_M »

John wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 13:23
I got mine from SJ, but I don't recall seeing any markings on it. I'm aware of the problems that ethanol poses for older fuel systems, and I plan to look into what's used in my Excel from tank to carbs, and identify parts that could deteriorate with E5 and E10 fuel.

Cheers John
I believe all the pipe work from tank is a Teflon pipe which has been tested by forum member previously leaving it immersed in ethanol and there was no deterioration.

One area I’d watch is the accelerator pump diaphragm in the carbs.

John
Regular Poster

Post by John »

Noted, thanks. I think the long pipe run through the chassis to the engine bulkhead must be Teflon then, but I'm going to check the bulkhead to carbs in the engine bay, also tank>pump>filter in the boot. Some of those are definitely rubber on mine.

Good point re. carb pump diaphragms, and plastic floats could also deteriorate. I'll see if Eurocarb have any info on those.

Cheers John

Zaphod
Senior Poster
Colour: Blue
Year: 1990

Post by Zaphod »

Alan_M wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 13:42
One area I’d watch is the accelerator pump diaphragm in the carbs.
Delorto say it should be fine with E10 as should the rest of the carb
Of all the things I have lost I think I miss my mind the most...

1952 MG TD
1957 MGA 1500
1959 Austin Healey Sprite
1975 MG Midget 1500
1990 Lotus Excel