Headlight pod fitting

Body parts, seats, dash, headlining, windows and stuff!

Moderator: Board Moderators

Zaphod
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Blue
Year: 1990

Headlight pod fitting

Post by Zaphod »

Hi Is there are trick to fitting the headlight pods, or are some slightly twisted? I have adjusted the position of the bobins and improved the fit dramatically, they now sit upright as opposed to one leaning out and when down sit close to flush with the body. However they front outer corner of each seems to sit low, even though it is flush at the hinge and bonnet, the inner edge is level with the body, it's as though the top face has a very slight twist, is this normal as both seem to be out by about the same amount? If so I guess I will have to use a skim of filler to level it up but I'd rather not if I don't have to!
Of all the things I have lost I think I miss my mind the most...

1952 MG TD
1957 MGA 1500
1959 Austin Healey Sprite
1975 MG Midget 1500
1990 Lotus Excel

John
Regular Poster

Re: Headlight pod fitting

Post by John »

Hi, I recently had some problems after removing one of the headlamp pods on my 1986 SE, and it took a few attempts to get it adjusted correctly after refitting. As long as the bobbins are still aligned correctly you have only one adjustment - the adjuster rod with a screw thread and lock nut at each end. There is also a rubber bump stop on the body - if that's damaged or missing the pod will sit too low.

You shouldn't have to resort to using filler on the pod or body unless there has been accident damage.

John

John
Regular Poster

Post by John »

Sorry, the bump stop is on the pod not the body, and it's adjustable. You may just need to loosen the lock nut and wind the stop out a bit to take up wear/shrinkage in the rubber?

Zaphod
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Blue
Year: 1990

Post by Zaphod »

That's the problem.. the bobins were no where near correctly installed.. the drivers side inner one was about 1.5cm further back from where it should be, which resulted in the pod being lopsided when raised (and there are a lot like this when you look about!) the other side the inner one on the body was high, resulting in the pod being tilted proud all down the inner face! My pods have no bump stops
Of all the things I have lost I think I miss my mind the most...

1952 MG TD
1957 MGA 1500
1959 Austin Healey Sprite
1975 MG Midget 1500
1990 Lotus Excel

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

I've got three offside pods for my Elite and none fit properly wrt sitting flush with the surrounding area. I'm going to skim with filler to get it right - can't see any other way.

Pete

John
Regular Poster

Post by John »

I wasn't impressed by the way in which the bobbins and associated hardware on my car are fixed to the bodywork. I had to drill out several knackered pop rivets which were loose/worn. Once they're loose and drilled out there's a good chance you end up with an oval hole and the bits don't line up any more.

Before I renewed the rivets the fit of the pod was sloppy and the light danced around at tickover. It's way better now in that respect but I can't recall how flush it sits to the bodywork. I'll have a look over the holidays.

But it sounds like the original factory fit wasn't spot on if the pod can be flush on 3 sides but still sit low at one corner.

John