Rear body mounts

Body parts, seats, dash, headlining, windows and stuff!

Moderator: Board Moderators

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white
Year: 1986

Rear body mounts

Post by bash »

Ive had a look in the manual (probably what my wife calls a 'man look' ) but I cant see a torque setting for the bolts, anyone have a clue.

Bash
Ps, mines a horizontal rear mount.
Ive currently torqued them at "gnnnaaaaa !!!!!, Phew.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Re: Rear body mounts

Post by Pete Boole »

By horizontal I assume you're not talking about the bolts. ISTR that they are M10 but given that they go through a steel spreader and a rubbery mounting pad I'd probably do them up as M8s - say about 15lbft.

Pete

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

Yes they are m10, slightly surprised I thought they would be bigger, but wasnt one of Chapmans favourite lines 'you can pick a double decker bus up with a 6mm bolt'.
Creaking from the back gave me a clue that something wasnt right, stripped threads were found, figure that one when I havnt touched em.

Cheers Pete.

Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

That nut plate is retained on the chassis by a special super-low profile bolt. Can't remember or not if you can get to the head of the bolt with the body in place.

Pete

Jason.goad
Senior Poster
Model: excel
Colour: red should be black
Year: 1985

Post by Jason.goad »

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=11192&p=85921&hilit=Body#p85921
Have a look if the body has cracked yet. I think it's not loose bolts, but poor body alignment /fitting that causes the creak.

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

Cheers jason, Ive had a really good look for cracks and couldnt find any. I will see what its like with a tight nut (see definition of a yorkshireman), if its still like that I will have another look after a visit to the optician's. I will report back.

Bash

DavidOliver
Senior Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1985

Post by DavidOliver »

I don´t know whether you have the early horizontal bolts or the vertical bolt improvement.
In either case try inserting a square of padding between body and chassis, I used rubber from an inner tube, and then tightening the bolts.
If you have horizontal bolts inspect the body around the fuel pump 3 supporting bolts, while you have it open, it might be worthwhile reinforcing with fibreglass anyway.

Dave the cog

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

Cheers, Ive got the horizontal mounts, and the fuel pump area looks good. Too hot today to roadtest it.
I have found one of the sources of some knocking sounds, the diff input shafts. Looking at one of my spare diffs the snap rings dont go into a groove, they just go beyond the splined area. This means there is room for the end of the input shaft to tap the shaft between the diff gears. Ive got 4 diffs (I know ) and they all do it.
Bash