Door beam - salvageable?

Body parts, seats, dash, headlining, windows and stuff!

Moderator: Board Moderators

Alan_M
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE, Excel SA, Elan SE
Colour: Red, red, white

Door beam - salvageable?

Post by Alan_M »

The strip down of my car proceeds. The passenger door beam is generally solid except for the area of rust shown in the photos. I plan on welding in new metal - any comments on if this is a good or bad idea? It has clearly rusted where there is a piece of foam wrapped around the beam to prevent air being forced into the door and subsequently into the interior causing cold drafts. Any one come up with a better solution?

Inside face

Bottom edge

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Re: Door beam - salvageable?

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

My Clan door beams (very similar to Excel beams) looked like that. Got my local garage to weld in new sheet metal. The only downside was the extra weight ...they must have used armour plate for extra crash protection!! Otherwise all functional and good.
Peter K

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Post by Hawaiis0 »

So long as you can maintain the mount points I would say yes.
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white
Year: 1986

Post by bash »

With that much welding I would build a jig to hold it in place and judge any heat movement in the assembly. Some cheap chipboard would do, and keep the welds short.
Short answer is ,yes, its savable
Bash
Ps, fill it with closed cell plumbers foam when you have finished, keeps water out and its stronger
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Post by MetBlue »

Agree salvageable, but I also agree with holding on a jig. It will banana badly with that much metal to replace if you don't.
Nearly finished drafting a post on my recent door beam replacement and will post later. I make a comment in that about keeping the beam shape if you weld.
Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

Alan_M
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE, Excel SA, Elan SE
Colour: Red, red, white

Post by Alan_M »

I guess I could clamp it back to back onto the other solid beam. As that’s metal to metal it may even help soak away some of the heat?

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Didn't have any distortion issue with mine. All location points remained true. Like I said, Clan door beams are very similar to the Excel, perhaps because they were both designed by Lotus engineers?
Peter K

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Post by MetBlue »

Alan_M wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 18:41
I guess I could clamp it back to back onto the other solid beam. As that’s metal to metal it may even help soak away some of the heat?
That's a great idea. I'd get some M5 threaded rod and tube to make half a dozen equal length spacers maybe 4 or 5 inches long. Then bolt back to back ( or front to front) through the M6 threaded locations. It will also hold the bottom window fixing nut in place which looks to be corroded out in your picture.

I replaced virtually the entire flat sheet in one door beam as it was badly corroded along the whole bottom edge, but miraculously, the pressed piece was virtually untouched by the evil tin worm.
The flat sheet is spot welded on (with just a short seam weld near the door mount angle plate). I drilled the spots out, then puddle welded the new plate through the drilled hole. The front but joint to the original beam was "outside" the door shell, so it was seamed and then ground flat. You couldn't see the joint once dressed :D
In my experience, the beam will banana If you don't brace. I've done 2 now and they both went to some extent or other.

Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.