seat trim material

Body parts, seats, dash, headlining, windows and stuff!

Moderator: Board Moderators

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white
Year: 1986

seat trim material

Post by bash »

Might just be of interest to some, the seat bolster on my drivers seat started to wear thro and the piece of tank tape stopping it getting worse was also getting worse. Ive been looking to get some new grey tweed trim to sort this for a couple of years at least without success but farmer Richard (gosling) very kindly came to my aid with some material he had removed from his car during his leather refacing and Ive now stitched a piece into the seat, thanks Richard.
The colour match was perfect but it would seem that the material changed slightly over the years, my car is a 86se and I think Richards is much later. The later material is a bigger stitch pattern and seems to have more wool in it. I have only put this up as it might help someone in the future but I am very happy with the repair and very gratefull to Richard.

Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

rbgosling
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Midnight Blue
Year: 1990

Re: seat trim material

Post by rbgosling »

That looks a nice neat job Bash! The colour match is pretty good.

Yes, my car is a '90 SE. After some looking I gave up trying to find anything close to the original material, which at least then gave me the freedom to make my own choice of fabric. Down-side of that is I either have to re-cover all the (perfectly good) cabin trim and door cards, or put up with having 3 different materials around the cabin.
"Farmer" Richard

1990 Lotus Excel SE (Lilith)
2022 MG MG5 EV (not due to be a classic for quite a few years...)
2011 Nissan Leaf (Ragly - EV pioneer, must be due to be a classic one day)