Elite fuel filler caps etc

Body parts, seats, dash, headlining, windows and stuff!

Moderator: Board Moderators

DavidOliver
Senior Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1985

Re: Elite fuel filler caps etc

Post by DavidOliver »

The vent is as necessary to allow air in than as to allow (warm) air out. A blocked vent can cause the petrol tank to collapse, particularly with a hgh pressure pump which can develop a sizeable depression as with injection systems.
I believe the Excel has a venting pipe which goes round the boot and exits under the rear bumper, worth copying for the Elite?

On my Jag XJ40 the filler pipe has a lightly spring loaded plastic ball about 3cm diameter which the petrol gun physically pushes down, and a separate
vent pipe exiting behind the body filler flap. Not expensive to get from a breakers and incorporate in the Elite.
To avoid doubling up filler points on the Elite you could just blank one off internally.......hmmm?

Just thoughts.

Dave the cog.

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Post by richardw »

Thanks David, interesting thoughts about the Jag system.

Anyway I drove up to Wolverhampton this morning to collect my critical spares - the fuel cap repair kits - from Ceandess. Lots of other people on the road all doing their essential journeys. Had a great welcome when I pulled into their car park - a few people were outside presumably on a break and gave me a big smile, pointing at the car and saying ‘our filler caps!’

Waiting in reception for them to bring out my order, I saw several pictures of cars that used Ceandess caps. The Lotus montage didn’t include the Elite, so I pointed this out and the guy I met promised to download a picture of the Elite and add it to the collection. Lots of other manufacturers used their caps including Reliant (Scimitar) and Gilbern. I should really have got pictures of the display while I was there.

Maybe it is a bit sad to say how much I enjoyed this morning out, but it did feel great being amongst people who seemed genuinely enthusiastic.

As an aside, it did seem to me this morning that those who used to trundle about in their Metros at 30mph now seem to be driving 4x4s. At least there is more room for their hats.

Anyway, well done Ceandess - long may you prosper!

Cheers, Richard

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

And what did you learn about the venting holes?!

Pete

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Post by richardw »

That they are simply ... holes, and only present on vented caps. There is no system in the vented cap that would prevent fuel leakage from these holes, although they do have a ball valve system on other designs they produce. The conclusion Is that vented caps should never be used on the Elite as the risk of fuel leakage in an incident (or just driving home from the petrol station) is too high, and that a proper tank venting system is absolutely necessary.

I think the vented caps would be fine on applications where the filler is vertical (like on twin tank Jags)

Cheers, Richard

TrevorK
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE (Now gone)
Colour: White
Year: 1988

Post by TrevorK »

I think Jaguar XJs didn't run vented caps but had a vent pipe that went up the D-post and back down again.

I imagine they would be fine on a Europa.
What car is that?