First job jobbed - 2 more found !!!

Body parts, seats, dash, headlining, windows and stuff!

Moderator: Board Moderators

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Re: First job jobbed - 2 more found !!!

Post by MetBlue »

Pete's reply has helped me decide. They are staying, but I'm taking the Chapman philosophy onboard and going to add lightness. Planning on a row of maybe 20mm holes running through, so I reduce the cross sectional area giving the part a kind of "crumple zone" - except I know it won't crumple.
Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

MetBlue
Senior Poster

Post by MetBlue »

. , but the transport costs from here to there would make you weep!
So labour rates in SA are affordable then 😉😉

Tony

Excel SA
Senior Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: White
Year: 1987

Post by Excel SA »

A lot cheaper than over there! Was pouring the other polyurethane ARB bush yesterday, so mixed in some black dye to the left over bit so see what comes out - may use that to mould new over riders, am not liking my vinyl covered ones at all.

Neil.

MetBlue
Senior Poster

Post by MetBlue »

Finally, after best part of a month, cars back on the road - with a tidy front bumper.

The "bridge" between the skirt and bumper has a row of 20mm holes to offer a degree of compliance when it inevitably bottoms (thanks Pete for the thought). Steel strip holding rubber skirt on replaced with a 3 part Stainless Steel strip, a remade grill and an angle to hold it in place, plus the 2 bumper parts are now bolted together rather than riveted, so at least an opportunity to remove the lower piece in future if needed.

All lights mounted in bumper also essentially new ( side light, indicators and Fog) and I'm pretty please with the results. Over riders reconditioned and now properly attached with bolts.

In an attempt to prevent stone chips ( it is only rattle can cellulose after all) I applied some 3M clear vinyl film over the lower skirt. I intended to wrap down the sides also, but that didn't go well. Very difficult to get the air bubbles out over largish flat areas and even with some heat to help it around the corner, I could not make it look any good. So only the front lower has the Vinyl and the sides need a quick rub down tomorrow and repolishing where I removed the vinyl, leaving some of glue behind.

Next job the rear bumper - But when?. A few drives coming up, so maybe a winter job. In the mean time, it will remind me just how bad the front was every time I go in the boot. :D :lol: :D

Tony

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White

Post by Pete Boole »

Excellent job Tony! I like your use of the caged nuts on the lower lip - good thinking. I'll have a closer look next weekend!

Pete

Excel SA
Senior Poster

Post by Excel SA »

Nice work - managing to get my head around how the newer style bumper all goes together with all the pics now! The older bumpers are quite a bit different. What does the rubber lip do?

Neil.

MetBlue
Senior Poster

Post by MetBlue »

Typical.
All back together, lighting circuits all checked and working fine. Went to start up and just can't get started.
Battery has been disconnected for about 3 weeks, but otherwise nothing in the engine bay has been touched or fiddled with. Fuel pump ticks away then stops as normal. Took plugs out and look to be seeing fuel, so I think I'm missing sparks. All plug gaps are a bit big at 0.75mm, but it was obviously running with this set up 3weeks ago. Ran out of time this evening to check properly, but I've read much about rev limiters and AB14 's playing up.
Anyone any thoughts on anything that may object to being without power for 3 weeks?

Tony

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Charge the battery. Then look at coil wires. Specifically splices and engine earth.
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

TrevorK
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE (Now gone)
Year: 1988

Post by TrevorK »

I would start by disconnecting the rev limiter. The AB14 seems to be pretty reliable from what I've read but gets blamed when the rev limiter kills the sparks at the wrong time. If you are convinced it's the AB14, the service notes has a section on diagnosing issues with it. I could lend you this if you need it.

Rotor arm is another weak link so get a spare spark plug on the end of the king lead and crank the engine while checking for a spark.

Are you getting enough fuel? If you use the choke try a few pumps of the throttle pedal instead. Are all the vacuum hoses in place?
What car is that?

MetBlue
Senior Poster

Post by MetBlue »

Thanks guys for the thoughts. My biggest challenge is that I'm away for a few days and not back until Friday to even investigate.
Just got fingers crossed its a simple fault fixable without parts or only those easily available from local motor factors. Sure it will come good - all part of the Lotus experience. 😊
Tony

MetBlue
Senior Poster

Post by MetBlue »

Not sure if this is good news or not, but after being away 3 days, I got in this evening, turned the key and away she's fired. - no fault to find.
Maybe I just flooded it on Tuesday and I had got sparks after all, but there wasn't a hint of a fire, even with the accelerator planted which normally at least induces a cough.
Do the later SE cars have electronic ignition as standard? My plug gaps are all around 0.75mm which is in the middle of the range given in service manual ( 0.6 for points and 0.9 for electronic). Engine no starts DN, which defines it as a spec 10 (constant energy ign), which I assume is electronic?
Tony

Alan_M
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE, Excel SA, Elan SE
Colour: Red, red, white

Post by Alan_M »

That’s good news.
FYI - All Excels had electronic ignition as standard.

MetBlue
Senior Poster

Post by MetBlue »

My cars sitting on the drive and if it had feelings, I'm sure it would be a bit confused. It's just navigated 3 weeks in a row as a fully built, fully operational car 😀😀.
Um... I feel a plan coming on.
Tony

MetBlue
Senior Poster

Post by MetBlue »

Don't fear everyone, normality resumed.
Rear bumper is now off for a respray ( or fitting of the NOS I recently acquired from Christopher Neils - TBA).
Tidying up the paint was the initial motivation for this next venture, but on removing the rear lights, there's definitely some improvement possible to the level of illumination at the rear. :roll:

I guess I shouldn't have been surprised. I've seen various records of horrors in rear lights on the forum.

Tony

Excel SA
Senior Poster

Post by Excel SA »

That's pretty much what they all look like - even the ones off Rover's that are fitted the right way up. One of mine did have more garden in it than yours though!

Neil.