First job jobbed - 2 more found !!!

Body parts, seats, dash, headlining, windows and stuff!

Moderator: Board Moderators

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

First job jobbed - 2 more found !!!

Post by MetBlue »

Thought I'd start this thread to record ongoing improvements to my new acquisition, the Silk Red MY92 Excel I collected last Friday

When I viewed the car, I noticed the screws securing the drivers door latch were slightly loose. Over the weekend I thought I'd tighten them, result being that the door wouldn't lock. :roll: For now, I've slackened them again, but it convinced me it would be a good idea to get the passenger door locks working correctly. Besides the levers feeling stiff to operate, the key barrel had pushed in so this seemed a good place to start. A nice quick and easy job the get my ownership underway.

Fault was simply the M6 bolt coming out. Route cause seemed to be the securing plate was badly worn where the star washer would normally grip, so this has been refitted with a countersunk screw with SS star washer underneath. Time will tell if that holds. I think it will.

Readers familiar with Toyota door handles will know whats coming next. Yes the rear nutsert was broken out. Quite a job getting the handle out and whats that vertical pin all about :!: :!: :!: Can't see it does much other than make dismantling very difficult when its seized in. Anyway, creative repair with an M6 threaded insert ( readily available from Screwfix) more usually used pressed into wood. I needed to add a 4mm "extension", but otherwise it bonded in well and the spikes on the outside fit against the webs of the original part, so should help resist torsion.

All now good, started re-assembly, lock working well, but neither internal nor external door open lever would work ( fortunately I'd actuated the latch with door open to check things - Phew. Spent the next 2 hours removing the latch and I really don't know how I would have done it if the door was latched closed). It looks like everything is just very worn. Once removed, sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. Interestingly, the internal plate was slightly bent, and when I clamped it to the nylon, it locked up, which is same symptoms I saw on the drivers door. In the end concluded nothing to be lost by drilling out the rivit pivot, so I can clean, deburr and grease it all properly. Picture of the internals, which no one normally sees below if anyone interested.

I think I have a plan to re-assemble it, but if all else fails LB are only 45 minutes away. I'll report in my next post if it works.

So, thats my first day of "on the road" Excel ownership. Wise words by those on the forum warning about the distraction from my Elite restoration :D :D But I do like this sort of stuff and generally they are only a day or two tasks.

Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

AndyD
Junior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1986

Re: First job jobbed - 2 more found !!!

Post by AndyD »

I'm watching this with interest Tony - my driver's side latch whilst working stays out when you open the door so you have to manually push it flat so the door latches properly.

Having seen other posts with the convoluted goings-on in the latches i haven'y yet braved taking it apart yet - but you're going there first!

Cheers

Andy

MetBlue
Senior Poster

Post by MetBlue »

Andy, from what I've learnt, your problem may just be a tight lever on the actual handle. The only springs I've found to return a lever are the ones in the handle. There's nothing in the actual latch.
Tony

MetBlue
Senior Poster

Post by MetBlue »

Door locks rebuilt today and all seems to be working just fine. There is really nothing to fear in dismantling the riveted latch. As long as you don't get carried away when drilling the rivet, it's an easier job than either getting the latch into the door or fitting and setting the operating rods - Honestly..

Here's what I did :
I made a small pin clamp to hold the rivet pin ( 1/4" dia with a slot sawn through the middle), then filed the riveted area down to leave about 1 mm of the 4.65 dia positioning dowel. next drilled 2.5 mm dia and about 15 mm deep into the rivet and tapped out to M3. An M3 x 12 countersunk set screw was then all that is needed do do the job of the previous rivet. I did cut a slot in the other end of the rivet pivot pin to be able to stop it turning when tightening the screw, but later found I didn't need it.
Completed tapped out pin , screw and mini vice in the forground of above.

I could have just cleaned and put back together at this point, but noticed the yellow passivated plate did not sit flat against the Nylon. Main reason appeared to be the material around the pivot pin was very distorted, as following picture tries to shows.

A few taps with hammer and punch and all was flat and ready for assembly.

All the "hidden" mechanism can be greased and fitted ( there's just one spring, but it's reasonably well retained and if you're carefull does not fly away !), then the steel end plate placed over, which nicely keeps everything in place.

And finally here's a picture of what's visible on completion ( you only see the small head of the M3 screw.

Whats even better, is that once it's all back together, the aluminium plate traps the pivot rivet to the door beam when the 4 off 1/4" UNF bolts are tightened, so even if my little M3 screw fell out, in theory, everything should still work perfectly. Happy days. :D I can lock the car again tonight ( last night the door wasn't even closed :!: :!:

Tony

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White

Post by Pete Boole »

Good job Tony! I did exactly the same when I had my Excel. It worked a treat.

Pete

AndyD
Junior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Calypso Red

Post by AndyD »

Excellent job Tony - I'll have a lubricate of the handle first then; thanks for the advice, it's appreciated.

Cheers

Andy

Mauro200
Junior Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: Bianco
Year: 1984

Post by Mauro200 »

MetBlue wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 22:09
Thought I'd start this thread to record ongoing improvements to my new acquisition, the Silk Red MY92 Excel I collected last Friday

When I viewed the car, I noticed the screws securing the drivers door latch were slightly loose. Over the weekend I thought I'd tighten them, result being that the door wouldn't lock. :roll: For now, I've slackened them again, but it convinced me it would be a good idea to get the passenger door locks working correctly. Besides the levers feeling stiff to operate, the key barrel had pushed in so this seemed a good place to start. A nice quick and easy job the get my ownership underway.

Fault was simply the M6 bolt coming out. Route cause seemed to be the securing plate was badly worn where the star washer would normally grip, so this has been refitted with a countersunk screw with SS star washer underneath. Time will tell if that holds. I think it will.

Readers familiar with Toyota door handles will know whats coming next. Yes the rear nutsert was broken out. Quite a job getting the handle out and whats that vertical pin all about :!: :!: :!: Can't see it does much other than make dismantling very difficult when its seized in. Anyway, creative repair with an M6 threaded insert ( readily available from Screwfix) more usually used pressed into wood. I needed to add a 4mm "extension", but otherwise it bonded in well and the spikes on the outside fit against the webs of the original part, so should help resist torsion.

All now good, started re-assembly, lock working well, but neither internal nor external door open lever would work ( fortunately I'd actuated the latch with door open to check things - Phew. Spent the next 2 hours removing the latch and I really don't know how I would have done it if the door was latched closed). It looks like everything is just very worn. Once removed, sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. Interestingly, the internal plate was slightly bent, and when I clamped it to the nylon, it locked up, which is same symptoms I saw on the drivers door. In the end concluded nothing to be lost by drilling out the rivit pivot, so I can clean, deburr and grease it all properly. Picture of the internals, which no one normally sees below if anyone interested.

I solved the handle differently. I saw that where it breaks it is deeper. I'm lucky to have a lathe and I made a double threaded insert. the external one I inserted in the plastic. I can't show the work because I have already reassembled the handle.

Ray-s
Regular Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: calypso red
Year: 1988

Post by Ray-s »

Great work you are definitely a pioneer, I'm watching with great interest as need to do some work on mine..Ray 8)
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Ray...
Why is there always bits left over ?

Pete Boole
Senior Poster

Post by Pete Boole »

I'll dig out the one I repaired a couple of years ago for comparison/further ideas. It's in the shed somewhere :roll:.

Pete

Pete Boole
Senior Poster

Post by Pete Boole »

This was my repair - it's bonded in with structural epoxy.

Pete

MetBlue
Senior Poster

Post by MetBlue »

Nice job. Oh to have access to some machine tools. Not at all jealous 👍

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Pete Boole wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 18:47
This was my repair - it's bonded in with structural epoxy.

Pete
Why haven't these been put into production yet?
:D :D
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

Pete Boole
Senior Poster

Post by Pete Boole »

No call for them!! :lol:

Pete

MetBlue
Senior Poster

Post by MetBlue »

Todays results for the Excel are :
2 faults investigated : 2 route causes identified. NO new jobs found :D - Yes you read right, no new jobs found.

When I collected the car, the purge pump was sitting in the glovebox, nursing two broken vibration blocks. Didn't seem to affect the car in any way, but Lotus clearly decided it was a good idea for some reason, so if it can be refitted, then why not.
Put power to it and nothing happened. , but with great thanks to our friend on www.lotusexcel.co.uk, I recalled reading something about a repair, so opened it up to find :
The black powder is whats left of the brushes and rear bearing. - No wonder it didn't work. - New motor now ordered through fleabay and with luck, by next weekend I'll be able to report if it's back in business.

Also investigated another little issue I had to discover following.
Image.
They are pieces of 9mm OD pipe if you can't recognise them.
So a little teaser for now. What was the fault? I'll be posting the detail tomorrow on a different thread.

Good day today - And I didn't adjust the wrong clevis this time :lol: :lol:

Tony

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Use braided rubber - access is tight and it's more pliable. :D :D

[/quote]
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!