Elite Steering Wheel Options

Body parts, seats, dash, headlining, windows and stuff!

Moderator: Board Moderators

theelanman
Regular Poster
Model: Elite, Evora, Elan, M100
Colour: Lagoon Blue

Elite Steering Wheel Options

Post by theelanman »

I have a dilemma
Im having the interior completely refurbed in cream leather
its in at the minute.......Ive just had a thought.....Ive done nothing withe the steering wheel.......
its black.......and its gonna stand out against a cream interior..........
so has anyone had their wheel covered.....not so much the rim as the horizontal spoke..........
failing that I suppose Im looking at a wood rim with polished spokes trad style wheel.....with tear drops rather than holes

what have people done?....those who have swapped out the original wheels that is

any thought and pics much appreciated

thanks
Gareth

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Re: Elite Steering Wheel Options

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

I quite like the original steering wheel - it's right because it's integral to the original design concept.

...wooden rims look out of place within this design concept IMHO.

However if you stare at each wheel in isolation of the interior, I would pick the wooden one! :|

I can see why you have a problem deciding!
Peter K

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Post by Hawaiis0 »

I second the comments on the original being best for the elite. I also think wooden ones dont suit them.

A refurbed black original will look cracking against the cream
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

I'd been wondering about the steering wheel as well. I'm fitting electric power steering and I though a slightly smaller wheel would work well with it but I have no idea about the design. I really like the Excel wheel.

Pete

pompey ice
Senior Poster
Model: eclat excel [skinny]
Colour: ice blue
Year: 1983

Post by pompey ice »

Hi Gareth , I noticed that the dash /glove compartment are a mixture of black cream why not glue
a couple of strips of cream leather into the two horizontal indentations on the original wheel ,
then you have a compromise of the two ?

Cheers Ian

don.hasi
Senior Poster
Model: Eclat S2.2 Riviera
Colour: Black
Year: 1982

Post by don.hasi »

I have the OEM accessoire wheel which is similar to the Excel wheel. It looks and feels better and was IIRC promoted by Andretti. So a must have :wink:
ImageImageImageImageImage

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Post by richardw »

Don, I believe your steering wheel was fitted as standard to the Excel. I have one in my Elite also; I think it fits better with the interior design which is quite traditional whereas the Elite/Eclat wheel is very seventies!

Cheers, Richard

don.hasi
Senior Poster
Model: Eclat S2.2 Riviera
Colour: Black
Year: 1982

Post by don.hasi »

No, even in the Excel it was first an option IIRC. Only the later ones, I would guess MY86 onwards with the new dash had it right from the factory. The difference was the push button for the horn with the new stalks.
ImageImageImageImageImage

theelanman
Regular Poster

Post by theelanman »

My whole dash is cream leather.......
I was thinking something like the nardi on the SE......similar to the s2 m100 elan and the late esprit
3 spoke with black or cream leather rim with polished or anodized spoke........
Looking at 14" wheel........I think that's the same size as original.........
The cars at the trimmers.......lol.....so I'm guessing

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Post by richardw »

don.hasi wrote:No, even in the Excel it was first an option IIRC. Only the later ones, I would guess MY86 onwards with the new dash had it right from the factory. The difference was the push button for the horn with the new stalks.
Hi Don, you're right - according to the parts list, the 2 spoke wheel was fitted but only for the '83 model year. The black 3 spoke was standard after that and a version with coloured leather available to special order. For the SE the wheel had red stitching.

Cheers, Richard

Pete Boole
Senior Poster

Post by Pete Boole »

I love the instrument panel in your car Don - did you do it yourself? The chrome bezels look great.

Pete

shaunw
Senior Poster
Model: Esprit GT3
Colour: CALYPSO

Post by shaunw »

Pete Boole wrote:I'd been wondering about the steering wheel as well. I'm fitting electric power steering and I though a slightly smaller wheel would work well with it but I have no idea about the design. I really like the Excel wheel.

Pete
Pete if you like the style of the Personal wheel fitted to later Excels you can still buy them in different diameters and different stitch colours. My wheel is the same make and design as the original.wheel, but smaller. IMO it feels more 'sporty' but keeps the original look. I've seen some after market modern style wheels fitted to Elites / Excels and they look awful.

Shaun

Pete Boole
Senior Poster

Post by Pete Boole »

Thanks for that Shaun - once I know what the steering feels like I can decide on the diameter of the wheel.

Pete

theelanman
Regular Poster

Post by theelanman »

I thought like this....sort of.....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/233144151185?u ... noapp=true

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

theelanman wrote:I thought like this....sort of.....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/233144151185?u ... noapp=true
Nice wheel (in itself).

AFAICR, the Elite column is non-adjustable. It would annoy the hell out of me if a replacement wheel obscured the instruments or warning lights in any way.

Smaller diameter steering wheels, and/or those without flat / horizontal boss arms are likely to obscure something. Personally I couldn't live with that. You could of course re-arrange the instruments and warning lights to suit a new wheel.

I'd rather refurbish the original 70's wheel and think about getting 'tastefully creative' with the centre pad -as suggested earlier by 'pompey ice'. For example I could see a stitched/ribbed leather covered pad with widely-spaced L O T U S letters across the centre. I'd make a new one from scratch and keep the original as a back-up.
I'd try different approaches on paper first - all black, all cream, black and cream. I'd try different fonts too - guided mostly by those popular in the seventies and those used by Lotus, and different finishes - chrome -black -stainless - aluminium etc.

When you look at the car from the outside it's clearly seventies. Anyone looking inside will expect to see clear seventies design cues too - otherwise it would 'jar' and possibly lose respect from those looking to admire and absorb the vibe.

It's not my car -but you did invite suggestions/opinions - hope you don't mind too much my preference to keep it seventies! :lol:
Peter K