Sealing the Windscreen - advice please

Body parts, seats, dash, headlining, windows and stuff!

Moderator: Board Moderators

Sirclip
Senior Poster
Model: Excel Celebration
Colour: Marque Lotus
Year: 1991

Sealing the Windscreen - advice please

Post by Sirclip »

I've been having problems with water in the driver's footwell for a very long time.

I've identified the problem (100% certain) that the water is coming in on the lower/bottom edge of the windscreen.

This suprises me as I've already had a couple of goes at sealng this with some decent quality sealant (I think it was Tiger Seal).

I'd be grateful for suggestions of how to go about sealing this and for suggestions about what product to use.

Thanks, Martin.

tonypoll
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: BRG
Year: 1992

Re: Sealing the Windscreen - advice please

Post by tonypoll »

Although you said you were 100% certain the leak was at the bottom of the screen...
It's possible that the screen wasn't fitted properly with spacers at the bottom. If these are omitted then over a couple of years, in my case, the screen gradually slips down, leaving a gap at the top. This may the source of your leaks, if water is seeping in at the top and tracking down.
Tony

Sirclip
Senior Poster

Post by Sirclip »

Hi Tony,
I'm very certain that it's coming in on the lower edge. I've proved this by sticking layers of ducktape over the seal at the lower edge (only) and now the footwell has dried out. (dispite the recent spate of wet weather).

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

I know is a lot of trouble and expense but I'd get it re-fitted. The bonded-in windscreen makes the body significantly stiffer - I'm amazed how flexible mine is now the screen is out!

Pete

Sirclip
Senior Poster

Post by Sirclip »

Ummm.....Thanks for the suggestion Pete. - I had considered that, but that's a lot of expense so I'd like to try resealing once more first.

amarshall
Model: SE
Year: 1990

Post by amarshall »

I know you're certain you know where the water is coming in - but have you checked that the A pillar covers are properly sealed to the screen as well? Water gets under them, runs down and around and in behind the dash...
https://www.lotusexcel.co.uk/
SORN - just say NO!

Sirclip
Senior Poster

Post by Sirclip »

Yes indeed, already had those off and resealed them. Also, both vertical edges of the screen under the A pillars have been sealed.

What I'd like to know is what sealant others have used.

John
Regular Poster

Post by John »

Hi there, I improved weatherproofing on my Excel by running Captain Tolleys liquid sealer around the front, rear and fixed side glass.

Definitely improved things, although not 100% as the doors are a poor fit and even with brand new Lotus door seals from SJ Sportscars I need to improve matters.

But I would try the Captain Tolleys. I bought a tube from a chandlers shop at a canal marina, was a bit cheaper than buying online.

Good luck

John

Sirclip
Senior Poster

Post by Sirclip »

Thanks John,
I've been trawling the interweb and also came across this. It received some encouraging reviews on Amazon. I might give this a try.

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

I used loads of Captain Tolley on my wife's Audi's rear screen - it was no good at all as the screen had become un-bonded and was flexing in the shell - had to have it re-fitted. The other problem when a leak has been present for a while is all the crap that accumulates in the gap - not a good surface to bond to.

Pete

Sirclip
Senior Poster

Post by Sirclip »

Thanks for the feedback on this Pete, it's good to have views from both camps. At £8 for a bottle I think it's worth a try though. I'll let you know if it worked for me.