Nose-cone wooden support panels

Body parts, seats, dash, headlining, windows and stuff!

Moderator: Board Moderators

NickC
Senior Poster
Year: 0

Nose-cone wooden support panels

Post by NickC »

Has anyone replaced the wooden panels which reside at the sides of the radiator cowl? Are these available to purchase anywhere or do you have to cut your own? Mine are so rotten they would not be any good to use as patterns. Do these panels actually do anything or can I just forget about the fact that they are rotten as I imagine most are by now.

amarshall
Model: SE
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1990

Re: Nose-cone wooden support panels

Post by amarshall »

I believe they can be bought from Lotusbits, or the club does have a pattern so you can cut your own.
https://www.lotusexcel.co.uk/
SORN - just say NO!

TAR
Regular Poster
Model: Elite Type 75
Colour: blue

Post by TAR »

They are part of the crash structure, so I would replace if they are rotten.
:)

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

TAR wrote:They are part of the crash structure, so I would replace if they are rotten.
Indeed. Remember Colin's mantra - 'add lightness'. If it *is* on a Lotus, it *will* have a reasonably important function.
Peter K

amarshall
Model: SE
Year: 1990

Post by amarshall »

TAR wrote:They are part of the crash structure, so I would replace if they are rotten.
They are indeed, and Mr. Kimberley is most insistent that they need to be there.
https://www.lotusexcel.co.uk/
SORN - just say NO!

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

amarshall wrote:
They are indeed, and Mr. Kimberley is most insistent that they need to be there.
I remember! :lol: :lol:

Pete

tonypoll
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: BRG
Year: 1992

Post by tonypoll »

You can get replacements from LotusBits and somewhere (I can't find where at the moment, but someone on this forum will know) someone has produced a very full write-up, with pictures, of how to replace these plywood parts.

NickC
Senior Poster

Post by NickC »

amarshall wrote:I believe they can be bought from Lotusbits, or the club does have a pattern so you can cut your own.
When you say "the Club" do you mean the LotusExcel.net club or the official Lotus Owners club, if the latter then I haven't been a member for over ten years so I don't think they will lend me their pattern.

Unless anyone here has a pattern I could borrow?

NickC
Senior Poster

Post by NickC »

tonypoll wrote:You can get replacements from LotusBits and somewhere (I can't find where at the moment, but someone on this forum will know) someone has produced a very full write-up, with pictures, of how to replace these plywood parts.
If anyone can find that article it would be very helpful.

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Post by richardw »

NickC wrote:
tonypoll wrote:You can get replacements from LotusBits and somewhere (I can't find where at the moment, but someone on this forum will know) someone has produced a very full write-up, with pictures, of how to replace these plywood parts.
Here is a fairly recent thread: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10506&hilit=plywood

NickC
Senior Poster

Post by NickC »

richardw wrote:
NickC wrote:
Here is a fairly recent thread: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10506&hilit=plywood
Thanks for that Richard, at least I have a better idea of what to expect now.

Lotusbits havn't got any panels in stock so would take a couple of weeks to make them, unfortunately that means that the weather would most likely have caved in by then and I need to get the radiator back in so as to get some antifreeze in the engine before it gets too cold. I flushed the system out so no antifreeze in there at all at the moment.

Unless of course I can find someone with a pattern I can borrow so that I can make my own?

I might have to put the radiator cowl back in and take it all out again new year, in the summer. I wonder if I actually need to put the radiator back in to run the car? If I could find some way of blanking off the top and bottom radiator hoses that would allow me to run the engine for a short while, until it warmed-up too much, without having to refit the radiator.

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

NickC wrote: I might have to put the radiator cowl back in and take it all out again new year, in the summer. I wonder if I actually need to put the radiator back in to run the car? If I could find some way of blanking off the top and bottom radiator hoses that would allow me to run the engine for a short while, until it warmed-up too much, without having to refit the radiator.
I'd connect top and bottom hose together with pipe/hose connectors so that the water pump can work properly without fear of strain and cavitation etc. You'd then have proper water circulation such that the temperature sender is really detecting the heat generated within the water jacket.

Would be an interesting exercise to see how long you can run the engine without a radiator! I'd guess you could keep it going for a while at this time of year (need antifreeze of course).
Peter K

NickC
Senior Poster

Post by NickC »

Lotus-e-Clan wrote: ...
I'd connect top and bottom hose together with pipe/hose connectors so that the water pump can work properly without fear of strain and cavitation etc. You'd then have proper water circulation such that the temperature sender is really detecting the heat generated within the water jacket.
Would be good if I could find some but having spent a few hours today around various car spares shops it does not look like getting an appropriate extension pipe is going to be easy. Thinking about it when the engine is cold and the thermostat is closed there is no water flowing around those pipes anyway so might be easier to find a couple of suitable bungs to block the ends of the pipes.

Danny
Senior Poster

Post by Danny »

Hi, if you are after coolant hose to bypass the rad, have you tried Burton power in Ilford?
Regards Dan

NickC
Senior Poster

Post by NickC »

Danny wrote:Hi, if you are after coolant hose to bypass the rad, have you tried Burton power in Ilford?
Regards Dan
Good suggestion, thanks Dan. They are only 20 mins aways from me.