First job jobbed - 2 more found !!!

Body parts, seats, dash, headlining, windows and stuff!

Moderator: Board Moderators

Alan_M
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE, Excel SA, Elan SE
Colour: Red, red, white

Re: First job jobbed - 2 more found !!!

Post by Alan_M »

Nice write up. I had similar and found just adjusting the one rod for it all working again.
Before adjusting I could only get mine to latch if I held the handle in the open position, pushed the door shut and released then handle.

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Post by MetBlue »

Driving down a side road near home the other night, thinking to myself " These headlights really are poor. I need to upgrade to LED".
Soon after, I pulled up behind a car and thought changed to " These headlights ain't on !!"
Main beam working fine on both flash and switched. Main beam relay removed and checked to be working fine, so power wasn't making that last leap between the relay and the head lamp.
The car should have Dim / Dip but a PO had linked it out - a link I was fully aware of and previously had looked reasonable so I had no reason to investigate. This picture from a year ago when the dash was out ( the Red U wire under the black connector near the lower door hinge bolt):

Checked it out this morning and it had been getting hot. Cut the tape off and found this:

The bullets weren't "in" the connector, just pushed up close and taped in place.
There's a moral here. If you know a PO has been there before you, check it out and ensure it's up to your standards - Especially if it's electrical. This could have been a lot worse !!

Pleased to say all working fine again now - and that red wire is in the bin.

Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

Alan_M
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE, Excel SA, Elan SE
Colour: Red, red, white

Post by Alan_M »

The curse of the PO!!!
At least it wasn’t too hard to sort and in time before anything worse happened.

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Post by MetBlue »

Recently been having problems with drivers door lock. Slam closed - it doesn't latch and just bounces open.
A few weeks of the car letting me think the bouncing door was fixed, and it started doing it again. :evil:

I had a feeling that the z plate wasn't pointing at the levers on the outside door handle. Seemed to be pointing more to the outside of the car ( hope that makes sense).
So dismantled again, tweaked the bends in both parts in the latch the Z plate attaches to and put back together. The outside door lock lever went in a lot easier and without feeling it was fighting the Z plate ( applying any twist to it).

Pleased to say door latched first time and better than ever before. Pretty convinced this was the route cause of my problem. The slide in the Z plate needs to be very free to move up and down without any resistance.

Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.