Monaco 2012 ?

Any social or anti-social get togethers, track days, shows, stag nights etc. that may be of interest to members. The occational blast down the road, or trip down to the local.

Moderator: Board Moderators

amarshall
Model: SE
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1990

Re: Monaco 2012 ?

Post by amarshall »

alanmoss wrote:Please be aware that the law regarding speed cameras in France changed recently, and it is now an offence to have any device that identifies the location of cameras, including POIs in Sat Navs. Radar detectors were banned a while ago but "Les Bleus" have now banned everything basically.
The offence is having it so if you go to France ensure that the function in your Sat Nav is switched off before you enter France.
The penalty is up to 1500 Euros!!!

Although the officers have no right to check the equipment, apparently. Probably just as well - wouldn't want them to start confiscating eyeballs Mk. I.

Slightly more annoying is the requirement to carry an in-car breathalyser!
https://www.lotusexcel.co.uk/
SORN - just say NO!

BillB
Regular Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Silver

Post by BillB »

Does that mean it is also an offence to carry a road atlas that has the locations marked? :roll:

alanmoss
Senior Poster
Model: Celebration
Colour: Marque Lotus Green
Year: 1991

Post by alanmoss »

Since decree n°2012-3 was introduced on 3 January 2012 it has been illegal to be warned about the position of fixed or mobile speed cameras while you are driving in France. If your navigation device has a Speed Camera service and you continue to use the service, you risk a fine of up to €1500.

I understand that the legislation refers to devices but not maps.

If you want the actual decree go here http://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/affichTex ... rieLien=id

This link is to Garmin's Q&A on the matter http://www.garmin.com/uk/extras-camera-alerts/#france
Alan
Excel Celebration, 1999 Mini Cooper S, Dacia Duster 4x4

amarshall

Post by amarshall »

Right - we have only one real candidate to organise this (other operators approached haven't responded with any plans), so here's the proposal :

"> We could organize a 5 day tour to Monaco and once you arrive there I suggest that another tour company takes over to organize your weekend as, at this late stage I don't want to get involved securing hotel accommodation for the weekend as most hotels are booked up well in advance.In addition, as I won't be accompanying the tour it is better that you have another tour operator on the ground to sort out any problems etc. We are in contact with a couple of operators specializing in organizing the Monaco Historic weekend so this is easily arranged depending on your budget, (as you will appreciate there are a wide range of hotel rates over the weekend)
> Our 5 day tour from St Malo to Monaco is based on the following itinerary;
> Saturday, May 6th Overnight ferry from Portsmouth -St Malo leaves Portsmouth 8.15pm
> Day 1 Sunday, May 7th St. Malo- St Patrice, Loire valley ( 220 miles)
> Morning coffee Cancale, lunchstop in Vitre, afternoon coffee stop Le Mans 24 hours museum
> Day 2 Monday, May 7th St Patrice- Bourdeilles, France ( 180 miles)
> Morning coffee La Roche Posay, Lunch Angles sur L'Anglin, afternoon coffee stop, Brantome
> Day 3 Tuesday, May 8th Bourdeilles-Ste Enimie, Gorges du Tarn (260 miles)
> Morning coffee stop Martel, Lunch Rodez, afternoon coffee Millau Bridge
> Day 4 Wednesday, May 9th Ste-Enimie to Aups, Provence
> Morning coffee Pont du Gard, Lunch stop Gordes Afternoon coffee stop Cotignac
> Day 5 Thursday May 10th Aups to Monaco ( 100 miles)
> Morning coffee stop Bargemon,lunch stop Gordes, afternoon coffee stop St Paul de Vence
> Once you get to Monaco/ Nice on Thursday the other tour operator will take over."

Fee includes :
> 1. Outward ferry Portsmouth-St.Malo with 2 berth cabin and return open ended ferry Dunkerque-Dover
> 2. 5 nights accommodation in stylish 4* and 3* hotels with dinner, bed and breakfast
> 3.Comprehensive road books with daily itineraries and route notes

but we will have an extra cost associated with the Monaco element.

Can those who want to participate please re-confirm their interest by posting on this thread and giving me a maximum price per PERSON no later than Monday 13th Feb. (for ref. the basic package listed above comes it at just under £1k per person)
SORN - just say NO!

rbgosling
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Midnight Blue

Post by rbgosling »

It sounds a superb trip, and I'm still very sorely tempted, but (with my sensible hat on) I cannot really justify two weeks holiday to do this, on top of other holiday plans I already have for this year. The perils of being a contractor who's only paid for the days he's at work!

I wish everyone who does go a great time, I'm sure you will. I look forward to seeing all the pictures (well, kinda, they'll just make me wish I'd gone after all...).
"Farmer" Richard

1990 Lotus Excel SE (Lilith)
2022 MG MG5 EV (not due to be a classic for quite a few years...)
2011 Nissan Leaf (Ragly - EV pioneer, must be due to be a classic one day)

Leigh
Junior Poster
Model: Elite S2.2
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1980

Post by Leigh »

That sounds like a great route down through France Angus, and if we can get some good accomodation in Monaco, then this sounds like a goer, although this particular itinerary adds a couple of extra days, which is not perfect for us. If the return journey is up to us, we can perhaps go up the east of France to take in the Ypres Lotus day on the 17th, what a bonus! Let's see who else who expressed an interest earlier on this forum is still up for it, then we can refine the plan.

Our budget is around £2k pp.

Leigh

chrisw2811
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1986

Post by chrisw2811 »

Sorry but I don't have enough holiday available from work to complete this trip :(
1986 Excel SE, 1985 FJ1100, 2012 Passat TDI Estate, 2012 Golf TSi, 2010 Mini R56, 1985 Yamaha Salient 1964 Raleigh Runabout 1960 Motobecane 1979 Honda NC50 , '02 Montesa 315R

Well, if I was right all the time I'd get to be predictable!

amarshall

Post by amarshall »

Well - it was a nice idea, but with only one car (Leigh) actually in a position to do the tour, the tour company won't run it. Even if I could get out of my meeting the week before, we still wouldn't have enough.

Sorry, Leigh.

Maybe we could try for something later in the year when things are a little less expensive and some of us might have more time ?

Meanwhile, there are two events in Belgium that members might like to attend - the Ypres one-day meet on 17th May and another near Liege running from 25th to 28th May.
SORN - just say NO!

don.hasi
Senior Poster
Model: Eclat S2.2 Riviera
Colour: Black
Year: 1982

Post by don.hasi »

as some major things have changed in my life, it is not possible to join the complete route. But I have hoped you will drive somthing more in my greater neighbourhood to meet you on your trip. Sadly the tour is more on the westroute of France.

If someone will come allong the easter routes or on your tour back, please let me know to catch you if I can 8)
ImageImageImageImageImage

Leigh
Junior Poster

Post by Leigh »

Monaco 2012 is still a goer - well at least for our Elite if not any other Lotus from the forum this time!

We'll be leaving Portsmouth on the overnight ferry on Monday 7th May, then a nice route taking in Caen, Le Mans, the Loire, the Dordogne, Gorge du Tarn, Millau viaduct, Nimes Roman Aquaduct, Marseilles, Cote d'Azur, Nice, Monaco. Then after the Historic GP weekend, we'll be returning over the Col de Turini, Route Napoleon across the southern Alps, Valence, Dijon, Burgundy, Champagne region, Ypres for the Belgian Lotus day (17th May) then home. Phew!

shaunw
Senior Poster
Model: Esprit GT3
Colour: CALYPSO

Post by shaunw »

Stop it, I'll be in tears soon I so wish I could take part in this but its just not possible at the moment :cry:

Shaun

amarshall

Post by amarshall »

Envious.

Well done Leigh! We want lots of photos!
SORN - just say NO!

don.hasi
Senior Poster

Post by don.hasi »

Leigh: will you touch Metz on your tour back?

Leigh
Junior Poster

Post by Leigh »

don.hasi wrote:Leigh: will you touch Metz on your tour back?
Hi Don, no we won't touch Metz, but we won't be far away as we expect to stay overnight in Troyes on Tues 15 May, then travelling up to Ypres on Wednesday to be ready for the Ypres Lotus Day on the Thursday. Can you get to Ypres, it looks like it should be a great day?

don.hasi
Senior Poster

Post by don.hasi »

Troyes looks very lovely in wikipedia :) but it is 4h one direction while I must work... I have to proof it.

The will to do it is there.... :wink: