NEC Restoration Show 2024 - Call for Volunteers

Any social or anti-social get togethers, track days, shows, stag nights etc. that may be of interest to members. The occational blast down the road, or trip down to the local.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Re: NEC Restoration Show 2024 - Call for Volunteers

Post by Hawaiis0 »

rbgosling wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 14:56
Many apologies Tony - Richard W needs to come on the Friday to bring the merch for sale, he cannot make Thursday. So I'll have to re-allocate your ticket to Richard. I'll make sure you have priority for next year!
Hang slack - Tony has no other slots so I can give up Friday no problem for me.
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

rbgosling
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Midnight Blue
Year: 1990

Post by rbgosling »

Appreciate that Stu, thanks.
"Farmer" Richard

1990 Lotus Excel SE (Lilith)
2022 MG MG5 EV (not due to be a classic for quite a few years...)
2011 Nissan Leaf (Ragly - EV pioneer, must be due to be a classic one day)

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Post by richardw »

Guys if someone can meet me Friday morning and take the mugs into the show then I don’t need my ticket. I could meet Stu or Tony near the NEC. I don’t want either of you to miss out on your Friday passes.

I’m still trying to get the board sticker printed but I do have a box of 25 mugs!

Let me know when/where we could meet next Friday.

Cheers, Richard

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Post by MetBlue »

I can do Friday, no problem. TBH, it's probably slightly better for me than Saturday.
Not sure I understand the start of this, as I had a Saturday slot and it seams you were looking for a Friday ticket. Doesn't matter though.
I can meet you somewhere Richard W to collect mugs.drop me a text and we can arrange something
Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

rbgosling
Senior Poster

Post by rbgosling »

MetBlue wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 18:16
I can do Friday, no problem. TBH, it's probably slightly better for me than Saturday.
Not sure I understand the start of this, as I had a Saturday slot and it seams you were looking for a Friday ticket. Doesn't matter though.
I can meet you somewhere Richard W to collect mugs.drop me a text and we can arrange something
Tony
The wristbands can be distributed over the 3 days in any way we want (although I have to notify in advance), so for Richard to have one I needed to take one from someone else, it didn't matter which day.

One way or another we can have two out of three of Richard on Friday, Stu on Friday (Stu's still good for Sat and Sun regardless), or Tony on Friday (or any one other day as you please). Everyone is being very polite about letting everyone else take the wristband, I'll let you work it out between yourselves! :D
"Farmer" Richard

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Take me off Friday. My gearbox might be being delivered
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

MetBlue
Senior Poster

Post by MetBlue »

I'm arranging a meet with Richard Friday morning.
Thanks Stu.

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Post by richardw »

MetBlue wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 08:38
Thanks Stu.
If Stu no longer needs a pass then I can come to the show on Friday morning and bring the stuff - saves having to drive across just to hand over to Tony. Farmer Richard, are you ok with this?

Cheers, Richard

rbgosling
Senior Poster

Post by rbgosling »

richardw wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 16:08
MetBlue wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 08:38
Thanks Stu.
If Stu no longer needs a pass then I can come to the show on Friday morning and bring the stuff - saves having to drive across just to hand over to Tony. Farmer Richard, are you ok with this?

Cheers, Richard
Sounds like a good plan. Tony, you can come whichever day suits you, can you confirm which so I can order the correct balance of wristbands?
"Farmer" Richard

MetBlue
Senior Poster

Post by MetBlue »

Richard
Put me in for Friday.
Tony

rbgosling
Senior Poster

Post by rbgosling »

OK - Tony on Friday. Richard W has agreed not to attend Friday, so that Phil can have a wristband, and Richard will pass the merch to Tony to bring in on Friday morning. Phil - I'm putting you in for Friday at the moment, but if you'd rather come a different day that's fine, just let me know in advance so I can swap the wristband to a different day.

Re-revised schedule:

Friday 22nd:
  • Richard Gosling
  • Pete Boole
  • Matt Oxley
  • Jake Oxley
  • Mark Robinson
  • Alan McKenzie
  • Tony Dakin
  • Phil Tanser
  • And one wristband retained for Sara Helmer (Ollie Winterbottom's sister) as our guest.
Total: 9

Saturday 23rd:
  • Richard Gosling
  • Pete Boole
  • Matt Oxley
  • Jake Oxley
  • Mark Robinson
  • Alan McKenzie
  • Stu Hawaiis0
  • Marcus Horrell
Total: 8

Sunday 24th:
  • Pete Boole
  • Matt Oxley
  • Jake Oxley
  • Mark Robinson
  • Alan McKenzie
  • Stu Hawaiis0
  • Andrew Harris
  • Richard Woolaston
Total: 8
"Farmer" Richard

Marcus
Junior Poster
Year: 0

Post by Marcus »

50 years of the Lotus wedges

When I was “Googling” for ideas and inspiration about the design for the tyre cover, I came across the Classic Car Portraits.co.uk website and Graeme Jenner who runs it as a small business.
http://www.classiccarportraits.co.uk/p ... ction.htm

I phoned Graeme the next day and explained what I was after, and putting it simply, he said “leave it to me”, I will do something without charging you, so at 2:00am this morning, the design arrived in my inbox. Image

This is what it looks like on my car:- Image

Things are running “a little tight”, but my printer man is going pull out the stops to get 6 signs made on Wednesday and I am planning to pick them up on Thursday mid morning and take them to the stand later in the afternoon. The signs will be printed on Foamex, which is a lightweight corrugated plastic sheet

Over the years, Graeme has drawn nearly all the Lotus cars, including the Elite, Excel and Esprit (not all are on the website) Here is the Excel link http://www.classiccarportraits.co.uk/M ... 292.htm

For around £50 (needs to be confirmed) he will do a bespoke design for ones individual car, (which I am planning to do for my Excel Type 89b project car) or should you be happy with a design he has already made, and for a lot less money he can print the drawing in the colour of your own car, and amend the text to suit your own cars individual history.

He is going to post me samples of his works, which I think will both look nice and complement the stand , and I said that should anybody be interested in having some work done, then we will put them in contact with Graeme. I hope that you did not mind me making a few "executive decisions" on my own, as there literally is no spare time to make even minor adjustments in time for this weekends show.

As I write, I am still waiting for confirmation that Martin ???? from Grand Thrift Autos You Tube channel will attend the stand on Saturday morning. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRmM6hFW_MA&t=376s to discuss making a YouTube film to mark 50 years of the Lotus wedges.

Looking forward to a successful show

Marcus

rbgosling
Senior Poster

Post by rbgosling »

Thanks Marcus, that looks really good.

Given what Graeme has done for us, I would like to support him, and I agree that the pictures and the option to have one done of your own car would be a nice offering on the stand. As Richard W has mentioned, we do need to be very wary here - amongst all the rules that I have had to wade through for the show, it clearly states:
  • We are not allowed to "sub-let" any part of our stand, have any other organisation represented on the stand, particularly a commercial organisation (since it is a club stand not a commercial one);
  • We may only sell club merchandise on the stand, can't sell anything else.
This isn't just a theoretical rule, we have had grief in the past for hosting Mike Taylor and Lotusbits on our stand. We don't want to piss the organisers off, and risk getting a crappy stand in the corner next year, or not be invited back at all.

I therefore suggest that we are OK to put up example pictures, along with prices, and a description of how bespoke commissions are available. I would propose that we don't put Graeme's details, or any logo that he has for his business, on any of the display, just write something like "ask any club member on the stand for further details". We can then pass on Graeme's contact details in person to anyone who asks (has he got any business cards we could hand to interested parties?). If anyone explicitly asks us, we will describe it as Club Merchandise. Hopefully this will avoid any difficulties or confusion. I hope Graeme is happy with this arrangement?

I'd further suggest that we add a post in the "For Sale" section for Graeme's pictures, which will be another way to thank him for his work, and will be evidence (if anyone asks) that these are being sold through the club, therefore legit club merchandise.
"Farmer" Richard

Marcus
Junior Poster
Year: 0

Post by Marcus »

Keeping the Organisers Happy
Richard, I agree with your comments - we are all aware of the commercial sensitivity, and fully understand the reasons why when trading stands are paying a commercial rate for their stand space.

On the assumption that the postman has delivered Graemes artwork to me, I am planning on bringing it along on Thursday - we can then decide how to display it. (have a think about whether we should put a price on it, as does this show its commercial? )

Adam Wilkins - Absolute Lotus
I have been in contact with Adam (I have sent him a copy the tyre artwork) - he is very much aware of the 50 years of the Lotus wedges.

Adam informed me that he will be at the Restoration Show on Friday, so hopefully will be popping over to the stand.

Marcus

Tanz
Senior Poster
Model: SE
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1988

Post by Tanz »

rbgosling wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:45
OK - Tony on Friday. Richard W has agreed not to attend Friday, so that Phil can have a wristband, and Richard will pass the merch to Tony to bring in on Friday morning. Phil - I'm putting you in for Friday at the moment, but if you'd rather come a different day that's fine, just let me know in advance so I can swap the wristband to a different day.
Richard - Friday is fine for me - thanks very much for the pass. Train ticket booked. I will get to the NEC at 9.12am. Believe it opens at 10 on Friday to the public.
Will phone you when I arrive like last year.
Cheers, Phil
Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!