Elite 50th Anniversary - Banner / Display ?

Any social or anti-social get togethers, track days, shows, stag nights etc. that may be of interest to members. The occational blast down the road, or trip down to the local.

Moderator: Board Moderators

rbgosling
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Midnight Blue
Year: 1990

Elite 50th Anniversary - Banner / Display ?

Post by rbgosling »

2024 year sees the 50th anniversary of the Lotus Type 75 Elite. We plan to make this a feature of our club's display at the 2024 NEC Restoration Show, which will feature Pete Boole's early Elite restoration, and Mark Robinson's Elite Coupé prototype.

I thought it would be good to have some sort of banner or display to proclaim this significant event at the show - hopefully it would also be used at the NEC Classic Car Show in November, and maybe at other events that club members (particularly Elite owners) attend.

So...
  • Does anyone have design/artistic skills to come up with something that will look good?
  • Does anyone have a suggestion where we could get it made up, or have the ability/equipment to make it up themselves?
  • Richard W - is there any budget in the coffers that could cover the cost of this, and would you consider it a wise use of our funds?
"Farmer" Richard

1990 Lotus Excel SE (Lilith)
2022 MG MG5 EV (not due to be a classic for quite a few years...)
2011 Nissan Leaf (Ragly - EV pioneer, must be due to be a classic one day)

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Re: Elite 50th Anniversary - Banner / Display ?

Post by Pete Boole »

I like the idea Richard. This is another significant Lotus milestone. Wish I had even a tiny bit of artistic skill! :lol:

Pete

Marcus
Junior Poster
Year: 0

Post by Marcus »

I am willing to give it a go - and subject to not an outrageous amount, I am happy to fund such a banner.

I have used on line printing companies, such as SoloPress below

This is just a suggestion to get the ball rolling, and to give some ideas as to what is available - the cafe banners do look good, but are the most expensive.

Where do we want to place the banner (fixed to a wall, on a hand rail, up in the air???) I have just been onto eBay, and been advised that they are no longer stocking "sky hooks"

INFORMING THE MEDIA THE CAR IS 50
So, bearing in mind it's the 50th Anniversary, and a variation on the banner theme, what about producing a smaller leaflet / PDF with some additional detail - this could be used to send to editors of the various car magazines, producers of uTube videos etc, Club Lotus, social media etc

I would also suggest that a persons name and contact details are on the leaflet, so that if a journalist wants to run a story, then they have somebody to contact.

Season greeting everyone Marcus

rbgosling
Senior Poster

Post by rbgosling »

Thanks Marcus, that would be great.

Our stand is in the middle of the hall, with no pillar, so we won't have a wall to hang anything off. Unless we bring our own wall of some sort, or the Sunbeam Lotus Club (who we back on to) bring a wall we can hang off, which we can't really assume!

We could just hang it off a table. but I think it'd look better higher up, where it'll catch the eye more.

Maybe the best option is just to knock up a wooden frame, then we can have it at whatever height we want, and for a fair amount cheaper than the posts they have for sale as the "cafe barrier". I don't mind sorting that out, once we know the size.

The idea of a leaflet is good, and with a contact detail would be good. While in principle I would be prepared to be the contact, I'm sure there are Elite owners on here who know the details of the model better and would do a much better job than me (I realised this when visitors started asking me specific Elite-related questions when I was on the stand at the last show!).

The Resto Show website has a "News" Section, certainly worth posting on there prior to the show. I did this last year, and it seems that the newest News article goes to the top, then gets pushed down as newer articles are posted, so there's probably an optimum moment to post.
"Farmer" Richard

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue

Post by MetBlue »

Some great suggestions being posted. Great to see such enthusiasm for a significant milestone. I'm happy to play some part in a 50th celebration planning. Would it be worth us having a virtual meeting between those interested once Christmas is out of the way and brain storming a few ideas ?
What goes together.... Must come apart.

Pete Boole
Senior Poster

Post by Pete Boole »

Good plan Tony.

Pete

Marcus
Junior Poster

Post by Marcus »

Perhaps some new wheel trims for the show cars? Image

Would anybody be prepared to make a uTube video to acknowledge the cars golden 50th ? I see that there are several people doing uTube videos about our cars, for example, Martin with his GrandThriftAuto films. He has done some amazing work - he can be contacted at www.grandthriftauto.uk/contact-8 Image

The photo shows the launch date of 18 May 1974 in Autocar - perhaps they can do a follow up article?

A virtual meeting sounds very logical, and it would be great to be able to bounce ideas off each other.

Lets keep the momentum going Marcus

AndrewWebber
Regular Poster
Model: Elite S1 503, Plus 2, Europa '
Colour: Gold
Year: 1979

Post by AndrewWebber »

Very happy to join proposed 'virtual meeting'

Thanks

Andy

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Post by richardw »

Although not a designer, I did create the Elite/Eclat 45th anniversary logo, the roll-up display and the new club logo using nothing more than Microsoft Publisher. Unfortunately the Lotus font that I used - Eurostile - has been dropped from Microsoft’s latest generation of products, but if anyone still has it that would be great. You can also download the font from various 3rd party sources, but I’m not sure they have all the features needed to support e.g. the stretched outline effect used for the Elite and Eclat scripts. If you have 45th anniversary mug you’ll see what I mean.

I was hoping to do something for the 50th based on this work, but am quite happy for someone else to have a crack at it and can supply the relevant Publisher files if those help.

Let me know what you decide.

Cheers, Richard

Marcus
Junior Poster

Post by Marcus »

Taking things forward - anybody had any brainwaves on how to mark the 50th on the Festive Period?

Mention has been made of a Zoom meeting - just sounding people out and to make suggestion that we have go for Wednesday 17th January at 7:30

If this appeals, then respond to this "topic" and then perhaps Chairman Richard could send a Zoom invitation to all those that would like to participate.

Marcus

AndrewWebber
Regular Poster

Post by AndrewWebber »

I'll be available and agree 17th Jan

Andy

Pete Boole
Senior Poster

Post by Pete Boole »

AndrewWebber wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 19:30
I'll be available and agree 17th Jan

Andy
Me too

Pete

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Post by richardw »

Suits me too - will post a zoom meeting once we have a few more replies.

Cheers, Richard

rbgosling
Senior Poster

Post by rbgosling »

I can be there for the meeting.
"Farmer" Richard

AndrewWebber
Regular Poster

Post by AndrewWebber »

Something I can offer, I'll throw in now, in case it generates related ideas before the 'meeting'. My son is a professional photographer / film producer / camera man and also has high level CAA drone clearance. Maybe if we could get enough cars somewhere suitable we could form a '50' or 'FIFTY' or optimistically 'HAPPY 50th BIRTHDAY ELITE' for aerial drone footage (still and / or video) and / or just get some 360 degree close up drone video around (and maybe in) some. (first time it's been done? the in period Lotus promo video presumably used helicopter / long distance?)

Being he is CAA certified does mean some paperwork, safety briefing and insurance (~£10/day), plus his overnight costs if any, both of which I'm happy to fund, and he would give his time.

With all attendees and landowners permission the output could be part of our press releases, social media stuff etc?

Andy