Winterbottom Run 2023

Any social or anti-social get togethers, track days, shows, stag nights etc. that may be of interest to members. The occational blast down the road, or trip down to the local.

Moderator: Board Moderators

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Winterbottom Run 2023

Post by richardw »

Let’s have suggestions as to how this year’s event might look. It does seem to work having some kind of event to attend as well as the run and the dinner. It is the Lotus 75th anniversary this year, but there has been no announcement to date of any event at Hethel to celebrate this - will keep an eye on this as it would be good to make this a focus if it happens.

I’ve checked events at Snetterton but there doesn’t seem to be anything appropriate scheduled in the latter half of the year.

So suggestions as to venues, location and timing would be very helpful.

Cheers, Richard

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white
Year: 1986

Re: Winterbottom Run 2023

Post by bash »

Spotted the below show. I probably wont be able to make it but it would make a nice run from the norwich ? area and theres some nice things to see for partners that isn't car based. Just throwing it into the mix.
Its nearer to ipswich than norwich.

https://www.helmingham.com/events/the-f ... orts-cars/

Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

rbgosling
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Midnight Blue
Year: 1990

Post by rbgosling »

bash wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 17:24
Spotted the below show. I probably wont be able to make it but it would make a nice run from the norwich ? area and theres some nice things to see for partners that isn't car based. Just throwing it into the mix.
Its nearer to ipswich than norwich.

https://www.helmingham.com/events/the-f ... orts-cars/

Bash
I used to vaguely know the family who live there when I was a child - it's a very lovely house and grounds. It does suggest that you should dress according to the era your car was made - to be honest I don't think I've changed my outfit much since 1990, in fact I think I have at least one t-shirt that's older than my car.
"Farmer" Richard

1990 Lotus Excel SE (Lilith)
2022 MG MG5 EV (not due to be a classic for quite a few years...)
2011 Nissan Leaf (Ragly - EV pioneer, must be due to be a classic one day)

rbgosling
Senior Poster

Post by rbgosling »

The English Whisky Company does a good tour, and it's not that far away - between Thetford and Snetterton.

https://www.englishwhisky.co.uk/plan-yo ... #our-tours

I had a look at Snetterton for track days/evenings, currently they are only listing dates up to June. Also they only have them on weekdays, so not use if we want to keep this to a weekend event.
"Farmer" Richard

richardw

Post by richardw »

rbgosling wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:35
The English Whisky Company does a good tour, and it's not that far away - between Thetford and Snetterton.

https://www.englishwhisky.co.uk/plan-yo ... #our-tours

I had a look at Snetterton for track days/evenings, currently they are only listing dates up to June. Also they only have them on weekdays, so not use if we want to keep this to a weekend event.
Thanks Richard - although we’d have to miss the most enjoyable part of the visit if we went to the English Whisky Company!

I’m also researching something Oliver related that could be added to the LITP event - that’s on 1/2 July - will feed back if it looks feasible.

Cheers Richard

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Post by MetBlue »

I like the idea of integrating with one of the other calendar events. Doing our own run on the Saturday of LITP this year sounds good to me.
Lets face it, there ain't a lot of reasons to visit Norfolk once you've ticked the Lotus connection. If we are going to keep it live, maybe a 5 year roll around - Norfolk, LITP, Castle Donington, Castle Coombe - And Silverstone Classic ?

Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

richardw

Post by richardw »

Just a thought as a possible rendezvous date/location for this years run:

I just received an email notification for this event and wanted to get some feedback on whether this could be a possibility for this years run? As it is a Sunday we could stay over and have dinner on the Saturday night somewhere nearby.

Let me know what you think!

Cheers, Richard

Radar
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Red
Year: 1988

Post by Radar »

I have enjoyed the two events so far and would be happy to do it in Norfolk again, pubs a tour of places associated with Oliver. I also like the idea it is a stand alone and intimate event. Marks it out a little. Tag on to another event and it will loose that

AndrewWebber
Regular Poster
Model: Elite S1 503, Plus 2, Europa '
Colour: Gold
Year: 1979

Post by AndrewWebber »

Looks good, would have come along, but will be overseas on the 20 August (and also for LITP).... but will be at the Castle Combe meet up in May.

Andy

rbgosling
Senior Poster

Post by rbgosling »

Stonham Barns suits me - it's close to my parents' place so quite convenient, and there's other activities there that Heather and the boys would enjoy if they get bored of the cars.
"Farmer" Richard

richardw

Post by richardw »

Radar wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 22:41
I have enjoyed the two events so far and would be happy to do it in Norfolk again, pubs a tour of places associated with Oliver. I also like the idea it is a stand alone and intimate event. Marks it out a little. Tag on to another event and it will loose that
Good point, but a bit like the CTL tour last year, the car show would be an ‘optional’ event rather than the focal point. I think we need something more than just a run and a dinner to make it worthwhile for people to make an often long journey.

Cheers, Richard

Radar
Senior Poster
Colour: Red
Year: 1988

Post by Radar »

richardw wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:48
Radar wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 22:41
Good point, but a bit like the CTL tour last year, the car show would be an ‘optional’ event rather than the focal point. I think we need something more than just a run and a dinner to make it worthwhile for people to make an often long journey.

Cheers, Richard
I do see your point about about being a long drive for meal and run around Norfolk. I will go with the flow and attend if I can whatever you get up to. I should really attend more Club Lotus and Lotus centric events than I do, but I am a busy bee!

barker_001
Senior Poster
Colour: Calypso Red

Post by barker_001 »

Hi Richard, everyone,
Unfortunately I'll be unable to make the run this year, we are away on holiday on the weekend of the 19th / 20th August. We're also otherwise engaged on the weekend of Castle Combe :(
On the plus side we are booked in for the Middlewick House Open Garden event on 3rd June. The house is owned by Nick Mason of Pink Floyd fame, who dots his cars (and helicopter!) around the gardens. There are also local food and artisan stalls etc. It's a charity event in aid of the Wiltshire Bobby Van and Air Ambulance, and was enjoyable last year. There was a good Lotus attendance, if anyone's interested I'll start a new event thread.
https://middlewickhouseopengarden.com/
Bryan

1990 Excel SE

"Look, there's a Ferrari..."

richardw

Post by richardw »

Dear All,

As some of you will know, I have not enjoyed the best of health over the last 12 months or so. Nothing permanent I hope, but as a result I do feel very tired much of the time, and find activities like organising a Run too much at the moment. Hopefully next year will be different!

I will therefore not be proposing anything for this year. If someone else would like to take over the reins and set something up, please let me know in case I can help in any way.

All the best

Richard