Restoration show 2023

Any social or anti-social get togethers, track days, shows, stag nights etc. that may be of interest to members. The occational blast down the road, or trip down to the local.

Moderator: Board Moderators

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Restoration show 2023

Post by richardw »

This show is being held from 24-26 March at the NEC, and we have been invited to apply for a stand. Our zoom call last Wednesday indicated that there was support for this, so we will be going ahead.

I would like to ask for a volunteer to coordinate this event - finding cars/exhibits, organising stand space, supervising setup/tear down, allocating passes, and attending the show as stand coordinator. I find I have less time for club matters than I used to, plus I need to focus on getting my Elite back on the road and address that list of jobs that keeps growing!

If you are interested in doing this, please let me know.

I’m also open to offers for more general help in running the club.

Cheers, Richard

rbgosling
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Midnight Blue
Year: 1990

Re: Restoration show 2023

Post by rbgosling »

No volunteers yet?

I guess the crucial aspect of the show is having some active repair / restoration work going on. Now my car is perfect ( :lol: ) I don't have any major project I can bring along, unless something big breaks in the next 5 months.

Does anyone else have a project they could exhibit at the show? It could be a finish-it-in-three-days thing like my headlining or engine strip-down, but equally valid would be a mid-way display of a much bigger project, which would I guess then require a trailered car (or chassis, or engine) rather than one that can be driven to/from the show.

I could be persuaded to deal with the admin for this show (I love going to this show, all the activity makes it far more entertaining than most shows for me), if someone has an idea for the resto element. I'm also very willing to lend a practical hand with the actual work!
"Farmer" Richard

1990 Lotus Excel SE (Lilith)
2022 MG MG5 EV (not due to be a classic for quite a few years...)
2011 Nissan Leaf (Ragly - EV pioneer, must be due to be a classic one day)

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

Depending on what progress I make over the next few months I might be able to bring the Elite - if my friend hasn't got rid of his trailer by then!

Pete

rbgosling
Senior Poster

Post by rbgosling »

That would be fabulous Pete - I’ll admit you were in my mind as I was writing that! I rented a trailer when I bought my car to the NEC 5 years ago (engine rebuilt and installed but not running), didn’t cost as much as I feared. Well, as long as you have a car with a tow bar, which I did at the time. But a borrowed trailer is cheaper!
"Farmer" Richard

Marten
Regular Poster
Model: excel
Colour: red
Year: 1985

Post by Marten »

rbgosling wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 19:46
That would be fabulous Pete - I’ll admit you were in my mind as I was writing that! I rented a trailer when I bought my car to the NEC 5 years ago (engine rebuilt and installed but not running), didn’t cost as much as I feared. Well, as long as you have a car with a tow bar, which I did at the time. But a borrowed trailer is cheaper!
You'll need a substantial car to tow the weight of a trailer plus car safely and legally.

richardw

Post by richardw »

rbgosling wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 15:53
No volunteers yet?

I guess the crucial aspect of the show is having some active repair / restoration work going on. Now my car is perfect ( :lol: ) I don't have any major project I can bring along, unless something big breaks in the next 5 months.

Does anyone else have a project they could exhibit at the show? It could be a finish-it-in-three-days thing like my headlining or engine strip-down, but equally valid would be a mid-way display of a much bigger project, which would I guess then require a trailered car (or chassis, or engine) rather than one that can be driven to/from the show.

I could be persuaded to deal with the admin for this show (I love going to this show, all the activity makes it far more entertaining than most shows for me), if someone has an idea for the resto element. I'm also very willing to lend a practical hand with the actual work!
Many thanks Richard. It has been quite difficult to set a resto theme for the show - it depends who is bringing their cars and what they want to do on them. I did try last time to do something on door beams and window frames, but it wasn’t possible in the end.

If you’re happy to continue on this basis, I’ll accept the invitation to the show and nominate you as the club representative. I shall be on hand to help if you have questions - the admin can be quite confusing (for me at any rate).

Cheers, Richard

richardw

Post by richardw »

Many thanks to Richard Gosling for volunteering to coordinate the restoration show next year. Having discussed this with Richard, we are submitting our show application, and I would urge members to support Richard and the club by volunteering their cars and/or projects. If there are enough jobs left on mine, I may bring that if necessary!

Cheers, Richard (the other one!)

rbgosling
Senior Poster

Post by rbgosling »

Great, good to know we are going ahead.

For now we'll proceed on the basis that Pete's Elite will be the main "restoration" focus of the stand, but we can re-visit that closer to the time when it's clearer what stage the project is at, and also if Pete has the facilities to transport stuff over. We can consider then what work might be carried out at the show.

It would be good to have a couple of other cars on the stand, so our guests can see what a working car looks like! It'd be nice to have some work going on with these too, but not essential. I'll bring my Excel, there's always some tinkering needs doing. Would be nice to have an Eclat, to complete the threesome, but not essential - having something interesting happening on the car is just as important. I'm open to suggestions!
"Farmer" Richard

pistolpete
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Red

Post by pistolpete »

Well done Richard, that's great , I would be happy to help out , give me a shout pete

Pete Boole
Senior Poster

Post by Pete Boole »

Hi guys - sorry but I need to retract the offer of my car for the show. It's almost certainly going to clash with my prostate cancer radiotherapy :(.

Sorry

Pet

rbgosling
Senior Poster

Post by rbgosling »

Understood Pete - your offer was much appreciated, but certainly this takes priority! I sincerely hope the radiotherapy does the trick, it's not a lot of fun.

Any other suggestions / offers for our primary restoration activity at the show?

As another idea, does anyone have an engine they'd like to dismantle / remantle? Visitors love looking at bits of engine, it's a good display (and I rather enjoy doing it!).
"Farmer" Richard

Tanz
Senior Poster
Model: SE
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1988

Post by Tanz »

Pete Boole wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:25
Hi guys - sorry but I need to retract the offer of my car for the show. It's almost certainly going to clash with my prostate cancer radiotherapy :(.

Sorry

Pet
Hi Pete,

Sorry to hear about the prostate problem. I'm sure the radiotherapy will sort it out. A mate of mine had a similar problem but is all clear now.
Cheers, Phil
Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!

Pete Boole
Senior Poster

Post by Pete Boole »

Thanks Richard and Phil! Got to say I'm not looking forward to it :(

Pete

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue

Post by MetBlue »

Sorry to hear you diagnosis Pete. Believe me though, treatment is far better than the alternative of not knowing until it's too late.
You'd be surprised how many people you know have been through this and are now clear. It's just not spoken about.
Best wishes, Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

Pete Boole
Senior Poster

Post by Pete Boole »

Thanks Tony. It's a fairly aggressive type but hopefully will respond OK - too far gone for surgery though. It's the possible side effects of the radiation that's worrying me now :(

Hope for the best, plan for the worst!! :D

Pete