Restoration show 2023

Any social or anti-social get togethers, track days, shows, stag nights etc. that may be of interest to members. The occational blast down the road, or trip down to the local.

Moderator: Board Moderators

barker_001
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1990

Re: Restoration show 2023

Post by barker_001 »

Sorry to hear you've not been well, Pete. Just to add my best wishes, and good luck with your treatment.
Bryan

1990 Excel SE

"Look, there's a Ferrari..."

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

Thanks Bryan. That's one of the worst things - I feel fine at the moment - no real symptoms!

So to all you men of a certain age - get your PSA levels checked!! :D

Pete

Tanz
Senior Poster
Model: SE
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1988

Post by Tanz »

Pete Boole wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 17:14
Thanks Bryan. That's one of the worst things - I feel fine at the moment - no real symptoms!

So to all you men of a certain age - get your PSA levels checked!! :D

Pete
I get mine checked once a year. They don't call men for these kinds of things, so you have to sort it yourself. Mine is normally 1.9 which is good. Last October it shot up to 4.97. 5 is the limit at my age (63) so I had to go in for further examination. They were happy that I was OK but I think I will get another check in 6 months.
As Pete says - get a PSA check. It's only a blood test after all.
Perhaps we need a prostate thread. Well they are always telling blokes to get talking :D
Cheers, Phil
Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!

Alan_M
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE, Excel SA, Elan SE
Colour: Red, red, white

Post by Alan_M »

Hi Pete, sorry to hear your news, hope everything goes well with the treatment and you’re back to full Lotusing soon.

I think it’s time to get my PSA checked. Had a scare a few years ago with a high result and not had done since due to Covid stopping things.

Pete Boole
Senior Poster

Post by Pete Boole »

Yep - hindsight is always perfect! But I do wish, of course, that I'd had a "well-man" check when I passed 60 (65 now). To be honest, given that 80% of men die with it or of it, it's shameful that there is still no screening in place. Rant over! :D

Pete

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Only just caught up with this, as I've never looked at this thread until now.

Sorry to hear about this, Pete.
I'm the youngest of 8 sibs, 4 of which are brothers. All 3 of my brothers have had prostate pathologies, two have/had benign prostatic hyperplasia, one unfortunately, brother Brian, had advanced stage four carcinoma with gut secondaries. Thankfully, surgery, radiotherapy and biological treatments have left Brian 5 years in the clear to date. The side effects of the surgical and radiotherapy treatments have been quite manageable. Also, as a bonus, the biological treatment restored some of his hair! He's living a fairly normal life now, and like many of us on here, he's a very practical-minded man (retired Rolls Royce development engineer who was based at Ansty) who loves making things in his home workshop in Cornwall.

Me, yes, I'm slow at the urinal compared to the 20-year-old in the next bay, but so far, I've been lucky.

Pete, it can work out OK if brother Brain's experience is anything to go by. Best wishes. :)
Peter K

Pete Boole
Senior Poster

Post by Pete Boole »

Thanks very much Peter. These positive stories are really welcome! :D

Pete

rbgosling
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Midnight Blue

Post by rbgosling »

OK, we've got info about our stand!

We are 3-090, in the top right corner of Hall 3. Right next to the door, handy for getting stuff in and getting a speedy exit on Sunday evening, but the door access cuts a corner off our rectangular stand. We are in Plastic Sports Car Corner, with Lotus Drivers Club next to us, and Sunbeam Lotus, TVR, and Marcos close by.

Map here

Realistically, if there is to be space for project working, and tables, and displays, I think we can only fit two cars onto this stand. If it was just for Display (like the November NEC show) it might fit three.

With Pete sadly unable to attend, we could really use a main project as the focus of our stand - any suggestions?

I could possibly pull my dash out - got a heater box to fix and a couple of electrical gremlins - but that's more of a side show really.
"Farmer" Richard

1990 Lotus Excel SE (Lilith)
2022 MG MG5 EV (not due to be a classic for quite a few years...)
2011 Nissan Leaf (Ragly - EV pioneer, must be due to be a classic one day)

pistolpete
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Red

Post by pistolpete »

I have a project or an engine , the car is mostly still in one bit less the seats and dash its an S2 Elite. It wasn't something I had thought about doing. but hey let me know

rbgosling
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Midnight Blue

Post by rbgosling »

Hey Pete - that would be great. I guess you won't know this far ahead exactly where you'll have got to with the project, but you could bring it along in whatever state it's in, and make what progress you can as the show goes along. I've always enjoyed doing work at this show - knowledgeable friends on the stand to advise and lend a hand, and a whole autojumble of tools and supplies that you can stroll over to when you need something! Plus Lotusbits not too far away, if you need an urgent part.

The car itself would be ideal, but otherwise an engine in the process of being rebuilt is also a great project.

Clearly no painting, welding, grinding etc. can happen on the stand, or anything that makes too much mess or noise. Also we don't usually have access to mains power. This time we are adjacent to a door, and I have seen power points by some of the doors, but I certainly wouldn't plan around having mains power.

Have you got any way of getting the car over from Oxford?
"Farmer" Richard

1990 Lotus Excel SE (Lilith)
2022 MG MG5 EV (not due to be a classic for quite a few years...)
2011 Nissan Leaf (Ragly - EV pioneer, must be due to be a classic one day)