NEC Classic restoration show 18-20 March 2022

Any social or anti-social get togethers, track days, shows, stag nights etc. that may be of interest to members. The occational blast down the road, or trip down to the local.

Moderator: Board Moderators

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

NEC Classic restoration show 18-20 March 2022

Post by richardw »

We’ve applied for stand space at the Restoration show on 18-20 March next year. Watch this space for further developments.

https://www.necrestorationshow.com/

Cheers, Richard

richardw

Re: NEC Classic restoration show 18-20 March 2022

Post by richardw »

We have been offered space at the show - the stand is 8.5m x 9.5m in a block shared with the Lotus Drivers Club - a good location.

Marcus is already on the list with his ‘Eclacco’ - as we need to confirm our acceptance by 28 Jan, could anyone who wishes to bring their car (or components) to perform work at the event, or just to show, please reply. Lotusbits will also bring along either a car or components.

I would also like to ask for anybody willing to offer assistance before and at the show so that I’m not the single point of failure!

The show website is : https://www.necrestorationshow.com/

Will follow up with the floor plan.

Cheers, Richard

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Post by MetBlue »

That's a result. Was thinking this was the following week, so I can make it.
Happy to help out on stand any or all days.

Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

AndrewWebber
Regular Poster
Model: Elite S1 503, Plus 2, Europa '
Colour: Gold
Year: 1979

Post by AndrewWebber »

Hi, I'd be happy to bring / display my 1979 Gold S1 Elite 503 as a 'running / used / unrestored' example. Could also link it the current 'Absolute Lotus Magazine' article on it. Other than a terribly repaired brown vinyl roof and torn leather drivers seat and somewhat saggy headlining it's in reasonable order. If it doesn't suit your needs that's fine also.

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White

Post by Pete Boole »

I'll be happy to man the stand for a couple of days.

Pete

richardw

Post by richardw »

Thanks for the replies gents. I’m waiting for Richard Gosling as he indicated he could be interested and could possibly show some interior trim renovation work. Alan may also be able to bring along an Excel diff which he is planning to refurbish.

Tony, did you want to bring your Excel or would you still be interested in doing a door beam/frame ‘demo?’

Cheers, Richard

MetBlue
Senior Poster

Post by MetBlue »

My car would be available, but lets allow others first shout on displaying. I'll sit my car on the reserve bench to come on if required.

Regards door beams, I think Alan suggested maybe a jig to hold a door beam / Window frame and maybe a door shell, which sounds a good plan to me. Would be easy to therefore show how it all goes together for those who don't know. Maybe Mike would have a rotted out beam / window frame as examples of where they rust out ? Just a jig frame to support would be the biggest challenge. I could knock something up in 4 x 2, but it might not look too professional.

Was also thinking I could bring a laptop along with the registry data base I've been working on. Visitors from the forum at least could then come along with their cars Serial numbers and anything interesting, to help build the register and they'd also be able to see where their car sits in the order of known cars.

I've been working on an idea for two of the non-sticky, sticky display boards. :idea: :idea: Give me a week or so and I should be able to post a picture.

Tony

Marcus
Junior Poster
Year: 0

Post by Marcus »

Richard, As I planning on bringing my car, I presume on the day before, on the Thursday, I will be able to help in setting the stand up.

I have pencilled in to offer support on the stand on the Friday morning, Saturday afternoon and most of Sunday (It is the first Grand Prix of the new season)

Looking forward to a great show Marcus

Pete Boole
Senior Poster

Post by Pete Boole »

I've got welding gear re the door jig if you've got a plan Tony. And a couple of VERY rotten door beams :roll: :lol:

Pete

MetBlue
Senior Poster

Post by MetBlue »

MetBlue wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 20:37
I've been working on an idea for two of the non-sticky, sticky display boards. Give me a week or so and I should be able to post a picture.
Also sits nicely on a bonnet or roof and in the breeze yesterday was spinning around randomly - Nice ( at one stage i'd been thinking about adding a slow rotation drive, but won't bother that track now)

Might look into a spike though that would go into the ground if we are outside. - Many options for mounting.

Tony

richardw

Post by richardw »

Great work Tony! Will be ideal for outdoor events as well I think?

Cheers, Richard

Pete Boole
Senior Poster

Post by Pete Boole »

Nice one Tony! Now stop messing about and get that Elite done :lol:

Pete

MetBlue
Senior Poster

Post by MetBlue »

Next priority is to rebuild the dash of the Excel. Nice new wheel box also arrived this morning. Should be like a Swiss watch when rebuilt. :D

Elites in research mode. Fabrics for interior. Some samples arrived this morning including the beige vinyl ( Wadi beige). If it's not the original stuff lotus used, it's a great match. Corduroy more challenging though.

Tony

rbgosling
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Midnight Blue
Year: 1990

Post by rbgosling »

Hi - Sorry I missed this post earlier!

Yes, I'm up for doing a roof lining replacement demonstration, and anything related bits I can fit in in the time. This will also probably require removal and re-fitting of at least some of the sunroof, no idea how that's going to go! My wife is sewing me some new seats, so I can bring along some before / mid / after for display, but I'm not sure I could convince her to demonstrate that live... (also would require a power supply, which Angus had suggested was financially prohibitive).

I hope there will still be a patch of floor in the middle of the stand that is big enough for me to pattern, cut out, and apply glue to the new roof lining panels. Shouldn't need that much space, none of them are that big. In fact, it might be better on a table, if anyone has a folding table or something they can bring then that would be great, I don't own anything suitable.

I can be there on Thursday morning for set up, but will have to leave early afternoon (it's my 50th birthday that day, got plans for the evening... :twisted: ). I should be back from that and back on the stand late morning on Friday, so can do the rest of Friday plus the weekend doing my resto stuff.

Cheers, Richard
"Farmer" Richard

1990 Lotus Excel SE (Lilith)
2022 MG MG5 EV (not due to be a classic for quite a few years...)
2011 Nissan Leaf (Ragly - EV pioneer, must be due to be a classic one day)

rbgosling
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Midnight Blue
Year: 1990

Post by rbgosling »

Marcus wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 22:13
I have pencilled in to offer support on the stand on the Friday morning, Saturday afternoon and most of Sunday (It is the first Grand Prix of the new season)
Yes, that might distract me a little at some moments...
"Farmer" Richard

1990 Lotus Excel SE (Lilith)
2022 MG MG5 EV (not due to be a classic for quite a few years...)
2011 Nissan Leaf (Ragly - EV pioneer, must be due to be a classic one day)