Practical Classics Classic Car & Restoration Show 2021

Any social or anti-social get togethers, track days, shows, stag nights etc. that may be of interest to members. The occational blast down the road, or trip down to the local.

Moderator: Board Moderators

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Practical Classics Classic Car & Restoration Show 2021

Post by richardw »

Hi everyone,

We've had an invitation to apply for space at this show which runs from Friday 26 - Sunday 28 March at the NEC. We need to respond by 24 September.

The 'ideal' club stand - from the organiser's point of view - is to have a live demonstration on the stand of work on a car; a vehicle in need of restoration; and one in excellent restored condition.

Given the restoration work that is happening at the moment, a demonstration revolving around door beam, shell, window frame and hinge assembly & fitment would be of great interest to members, and of course we know who the candidates are for such a demo!

It's probably a bit early to ask for volunteers, but I would welcome opinions on our attendance, what we could/should show, and of course if you want to put your name forward please do so!

Many thanks,

Richard

rbgosling
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Midnight Blue
Year: 1990

Re: Practical Classics Classic Car & Restoration Show 2021

Post by rbgosling »

This is a great show, and not too far from home, so I'd be keen to be part of our stand.

Hopefully I'll have long finished my seat re-covering project, so I'm hoping can't offer that (but you never know...). My headlining and associated trim BADLY needs doing, so that could be a project for the show maybe? Or something else may have broken by then which I can fix!

If anyone else want to do some work on engine and/or gearbox alternatively, I'd be glad to be a part and lend a hand with that, I've got a bit of practice now.

Either way I'll be happy to put my car on the stand, although it's neither a restoration project nor a pristine example.
"Farmer" Richard

1990 Lotus Excel SE (Lilith)
2022 MG MG5 EV (not due to be a classic for quite a few years...)
2011 Nissan Leaf (Ragly - EV pioneer, must be due to be a classic one day)

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Post by MetBlue »

I've been to the last couple of shows and was looking forward to this year's until it got cancelled. It is a very informative show.

Ref door beams, I agree could make a useful demo. Progress may be glacially slow in the Metblue garage, but I sure do hope my car at least will be well and truly past this phase by the time the show comes around. I would however be happy to help out on the stand if required.
Food for thought on doors : I have a full near side door including hinge pin and hinge brackets (all in bits right now). We have time to knock up a frame to mimic the A and B post, hence wouldn't actually need a full car to strip out if one isn't available for the show (or a different job can be demonstrated on a complete car). - just a thought to share.

Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

richardw

Post by richardw »

Thanks guys - both worthwhile proposals which would be good to take along; would Heather be available to do impromptu upholstery demos Richard!!?

I don't think we need to take the 'ideal' profile too seriously, so we have some flexibility.

Thanks again, Richard

Marcus
Junior Poster
Year: 0

Post by Marcus »

Ive enjoyed the show in the past - I would think that the show will be well attended as it will be 2 years since the last one.

Hopefully my 14 year long Excel project will be complete, or not very far away by then. So with or without car, I would like to help out should a stand be booked.

So, I would suggest that you proceed and book the space.

Marcus

rbgosling
Senior Poster

Post by rbgosling »

richardw wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 21:46
...would Heather be available to do impromptu upholstery demos Richard!!?
That may depend on how successful my re-covering project is! Or if it is still under way...

A subject to be broached a bit nearer to the time, maybe!
"Farmer" Richard

rbgosling
Senior Poster

Post by rbgosling »

Update - this show has been now moved to 11-13 June.

I'm still keen to come along, although I really hope my seats will be finished by then (now we've got a serious sewing machine). The rest of my interior will still look disastrous though, so a headlining project would be a possibility.
"Farmer" Richard

rbgosling
Senior Poster

Post by rbgosling »

Fortunately that doesn't clash with the Download Festival the previous weekend, so I can attend both! Heather might start wondering where her husband has disappeared to if I vanish two weekends in a row...
"Farmer" Richard

richardw

Post by richardw »

That’s good - I was getting worried that the March dates could mean the show was at risk. We’ve said this before but surely next June will be ok won’t it?

Cheers Richard

Marcus
Junior Poster

Post by Marcus »

The June date sounds better - hopefully we will be vaccinated up to the hilt and Mr Virus will be confined to the history book.

It will also give me more time to get my car finished. Upholstery work starting very soon!!!

MetBlue
Senior Poster

Post by MetBlue »

Date noted and fingers crossed this time.
As previous, Happy to support , contribute etc, but I'm not even going to try guessing 6 months out what I'll be working on.....probably the same as I am now :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tony

MetBlue
Senior Poster

Post by MetBlue »

I'm thinking this has landed 10 days too early (or rather Boris' unlock plans are running 10 days too late) .
If all goes to plan, indoor events will be capped at 1000 people from 17th May (or 50 % capacity, which ever is SMALLER), then unlimited from 21st June. Apparently 28000 people went to the last show over 3 days. Just checked NEC Web site and nothing there reflecting the unlock plans yet, but I can't see it being worth their while for just 3000 people.

Time will tell. I'm expecting a further delay to the Autumn.
Tony

Marcus
Junior Poster

Post by Marcus »

A show requires both exhibitors and visitors. I would assume that other exhibitors will be asking similar questions.

Keep fingers crossed that against expectations it will be a good show, but in reality, should the show go ahead, there will be less stands and less visitors.

I still have the date in my diary.

The big NEC Classic Motor Show 2021 is planned for 12-14 November - perhaps we should be looking forward to this event.

richardw

Post by richardw »

Will post any updates from the organisers as & when I get them.

Richard

rbgosling
Senior Poster

Post by rbgosling »

Just heard that the Download Festival (the weekend before the Resto show) has been cancelled - so that's one half of my crazy double-weekender gone.

Fingers crossed they can just push the Resto show back by a couple of weeks, but that may depend on the NEC not already having something else using the halls then. No news yet...
"Farmer" Richard