NEC Lancaster Insurance Classic Motor Show 2020

Any social or anti-social get togethers, track days, shows, stag nights etc. that may be of interest to members. The occational blast down the road, or trip down to the local.

Moderator: Board Moderators

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

NEC Lancaster Insurance Classic Motor Show 2020

Post by richardw »

We plan to be exhibiting at the NEC again this year - our application has been submitted. We had a successful show last year with lots of interest in the cars. We'll know the outcome of our application around the end of May. The show dates are 13-15 November.

I suggest that for this show we attempt to show good examples of the range, rather than restoration projects, to showcase the cars' appearance and appeal - but other suggestions are welcome! Ian Hissey's painted Elite bodyshell, for example, created a lot of interest last year.

There are two anniversaries this year - the Eclat is 45, and the S2.2 models are 40. It would be great to have at least 2 Eclats (S1 and S2.2) as well as an Elite (ideally S2.2) plus one or two nice Excels, so if you have a vehicle you'd like to show then please post here. Remember you will need to drop the car off on 12 November, with collection normally on the evening of 15 November or during the day on the 16th.

Feedback please!

Cheers, Richard

rbgosling
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Midnight Blue
Year: 1990

Re: NEC Lancaster Insurance Classic Motor Show 2020

Post by rbgosling »

I'm certainly happy to bring my car and be part of the show, but there's no denying mine is currently at the tattier end of the spectrum, so I will stand aside if there are tidier examples available.

Maybe better to bring mine in 2021... If Lewis manages to win the championship again this year I'll get enough of a bonus finally to be able to afford the respray Lilith really needs!
"Farmer" Richard

1990 Lotus Excel SE (Lilith)
2022 MG MG5 EV (not due to be a classic for quite a few years...)
2011 Nissan Leaf (Ragly - EV pioneer, must be due to be a classic one day)

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

rbgosling wrote:I'm certainly happy to bring my car and be part of the show, but there's no denying mine is currently at the tattier end of the spectrum, so I will stand aside if there are tidier examples available.

Maybe better to bring mine in 2021... If Lewis manages to win the championship again this year I'll get enough of a bonus finally to be able to afford the respray Lilith really needs!
You've just altered my stance on Lewis winning this year :? -

I wanted Le-Clerk to win this year (mainly because I'm a shallow fantasist in that his track display handle is 'LEC' -like the short version for Lotus-e-Clan).

But now I hope Lewis wins so you get your respray. 8)

I know that ^^ could sound sarcastic - but it's not meant to be. I do hope you benefit from his success! :D
Peter K

rbgosling
Senior Poster

Post by rbgosling »

Lotus-e-Clan wrote:
rbgosling wrote:I'm certainly happy to bring my car and be part of the show, but there's no denying mine is currently at the tattier end of the spectrum, so I will stand aside if there are tidier examples available.

You've just altered my stance on Lewis winning this year :? -

I wanted Le-Clerk to win this year (mainly because I'm a shallow fantasist in that his track display handle is 'LEC' -like the short version for Lotus-e-Clan).

But now I hope Lewis wins so you get your respray. 8)

I know that ^^ could sound sarcastic - but it's not meant to be. I do hope you benefit from his success! :D
Your sincere wishes are most gratefully received!!

Now, let battle commence and the best team win...
"Farmer" Richard

TrevorK
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE (Now gone)
Colour: White
Year: 1988

Post by TrevorK »

I thought LEC meant Lotus Elan Central?
https://forum.lotuselancentral.com/
What car is that?

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

TrevorK wrote:I thought LEC meant Lotus Elan Central?
https://forum.lotuselancentral.com/
Maybe like me, for the same reason, they wanted Le Clerk to win too? :wink:
Peter K

richardw

Post by richardw »

Had an update last night regarding the show, just fyi:

Lancaster Insurance Classic Motor Show, with Discovery including The Classic Motorbike Show

I wanted to update you about the Lotus Elite/Eclat/Excel Club application for a club stand at November’s CMS as I realise in a normal year we would have finalised the show layout and issued stand offers by this point.

Due to Covid-19, Clarion Events are currently working with other event organisers, venues and government to develop guidelines for a new way of presenting events which are safe and secure for all involved. As I am sure you can appreciate, this unavoidably requires changes to the show layout, access procedures etc.

I can assure you that we are putting all our efforts into delivering a fantastic meeting of the community at our flagship event in November. As soon as plans are finalised I will be in touch with further news. Thank you for your patience in these challenging and unprecedented times.

richardw

Post by richardw »

It's all happening this week!

I've just received the show floorplan and we have been offered a very good position - Hall 3, stand 3-150 which is at the rear of the Club Lotus stand. Size is good - 12m x 7m and no pillars or other obstructions to contend with. I'll look at this more closely over the weekend; I feel that we should aim to have as nice a selection of cars as possible. Works in progress are best featured at the Restoration show which we will attend next year, I feel, but please put your case if you disagree!

There are going to be restrictions in place, of course. The following will be in place for the show as a whole:

• Temperature checking upon arrival and compulsory face coverings.
• Strict exhibitor and contractor scheduling during build up and breakdown.
• Social distancing managed in line with the latest government advice.
• Enhanced cleaning regime across the venue throughout the show period.
• Contactless payments encouraged.
• One and two-way aisles to enable easy visitor navigation to help maintain physical distancing.

As a club we need to consider the following:

- a dividing wall between neighbouring stands, or deliberate placement of vehicles.
- using marshals / barriers to create separate viewing areas or control visitor access.
- floor markings to help visitors keep 2m apart.
- having a counter with screen, where visitors can ask questions.

Also, regarding the stand layout and staffing itself:

- The guideline is a maximum of 4 cars;
- Car Clubs will receive access for one person per day per 10sqm of stand space (in our case that is 8 passes) to allow for adequate marshalling etc. - so we will need plenty of support.

Anyway, I'm delighted that it is going ahead and most of us have had experience of the precautions being put in place.

Cheers, Richard

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Post by MetBlue »

Be happy to assist or be involved in some way Richard W.

Just reading back on thread.
enough of a bonus finally to be able to afford the respray Lilith really needs!
Early days, but a Merc 1 2 in the championship has to be looking odds on. Fingers crossed for your respray especially it's not dependant on which driver tops it.

Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

richardw

Post by richardw »

Thanks Tony - you're on the list!

Richard

TrevorK
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE (Now gone)
Colour: White
Year: 1988

Post by TrevorK »

I'm also willing to help in some way as I was planning to go to the show anyway.
What car is that?

richardw

Post by richardw »

TrevorK wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 22:02
I'm also willing to help in some way as I was planning to go to the show anyway.
Thanks Trevor - that's great. Lets hope it happens as planned.

Cheers, Richard

richardw

Post by richardw »

IMPORTANT MESSAGE

We have until roughly the end of this month to ensure that we have enough support to put on a display and staff the stand with volunteers. Some people naturally have reservations due to COVID 19, and if you do, respect your instincts. We have warned the show organisers that this is something we need to assess before moving forward.

In order to have a viable stand this year, we need a minimum of 3 cars while there is capacity for 4. I am prepared to volunteer mine for duty if necessary, but will certainly be around for the duration of the show in any case. As I mentioned above it is the 40th birthday of the S2.2 this year so it would be appropriate to have a couple of S2.2 Elites/Eclats.

As well as needing cars, we have 8 passes for volunteers to man the stand (they are not being issued per car, but per square metre of stand space.) Because of COVID, we need to implement distancing measures on the stand, so volunteers will need to guide, or at least monitor, visitor movements on the stand. Tony D and Trevor K have already volunteered (thanks guys) so please step forward if you'd like to be part of the show's proceedings.

Of course, we need to monitor the Government's response to COVID as do the show organisers. I hope we can be part of making the show go ahead this year as I feel it is important to support interest in our Lotus models, as well as supporting the industry and its ecosystem more widely.

Please spread the word as not everybody reads every post. We have about two weeks to get our act together if we want to attend.

Many thanks, Richard

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Post by MetBlue »

Richard.
Still available and happy to be involved. My Excel could be considered if cars needed on stand. Hopefully by then paint will at least look respectable, but not yet a car I'd normally suggest as show fodder. Would need to see what logistics for the weekend looked like also.
Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

rbgosling
Senior Poster

Post by rbgosling »

Both my (tatty) '90 Excel SE and myself are available and keen to be part of the show.

I live a 30 minute train ride from the NEC (and just up the road from Tony), so can happily do some/all of the days as required.
"Farmer" Richard