New Elite owner from Sweden!

If you spot one, shame them into owning up!!
If you are new to the Lotus position introduce yourself here. Please try to keep your the post to your introduction and your initial question/problems to the right formum.

Moderator: Board Moderators

lahi
Verified Poster
Model: Elite, Elise, Europa, Europa

New Elite owner from Sweden!

Post by lahi »

Hi,

Recently joined this forum as I bought a 1975 Elite in need of some work. I'm new Elites, but not new to Lotus. Living in the south parts of Sweden and working as manager for the engine development at Koenigsegg Automotive.

My newly acquired Elite fell off a lift before I bought it and it is in need some fiberglass work, water pump restoration and replacement of left side door window and frame. I managed to find a window and window frame quite locally last weekend. It's running fine.

I also have an 2001 Elise that I built a supercharged Rover K series engine for. Got 322 hp at the dyno and the car weighs 730 kg (1600 lbs for the non metric people here :wink: ). Very quick car.

Also own two Europas (one S1 and one S2) and the the 1968 Europa S2 is currently being restored to original spec and it's all matching numbers so I'm very nerdy about the originality.

Some pictures of the cars below!

Last edited by lahi on Wed Nov 09, 2022 15:26, edited 2 times in total.

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Re: New Elite owner from Sweden!

Post by MetBlue »

Lovely car selection - not envious 😭

Elite in Lagoon Blue and looks same trim combo as mine. - just in much better condition.
Great choice.
Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

ChrisJ
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: White
Year: 1989

Post by ChrisJ »

Sounds like the Elite is in good hands - I look forward to seeing your progress.

Chris

AndrewWebber
Regular Poster
Model: Elite S1 503, Plus 2, Europa '
Colour: Gold
Year: 1979

Post by AndrewWebber »

Great selection. Welcome

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white
Year: 1986

Post by bash »

Welcome, be nice to hear what progress you make over the coming garage season looks a very nice car.
Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White

Post by Pete Boole »

Yep - welcome lahi. Great selection of cars! 8). Which supercharger have you fitted to the Elise? I'm building a supercharged 912 engine for my Elite, but it's an old-fashioned Eaton blower, so not expecting 322hp! The Elite is a lovely colour.

Pete

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Great car collection, Lahi!

Can't see a badge on the B pillar to denote if it's a 501, 502, or 503 (it's not a 504). Has it got power steering or air con?

Also, being a 75 car, the engine is likely to have "D" cams. In '76 they fitted "E" cams (and changed DHLA jetting and ignition curve) to give better midrange torque than the D cams. But I suppose you know a lot more about engine tuning than most, so I would guess you will be all over it before too long!

Welcome to the forum!
Peter K

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Post by richardw »

Great to have you on board Lahi! Great collection of cars - the Elite is a different experience and looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

Off to the NEC in Birmingham to set up our stand (The Lotus Grand Tourers) at the Classic Motor Show with the other members of the exhibitor team - we have one of each variant from Elite to Excel SE more or less.

Watch out for pictures later….

Cheers, Richard

lahi
Verified Poster

Post by lahi »

Thank you for the warm welcome! I'm happy to be here :D
I really like this color on the Elite. When it's ready in the spring this will be the "go get icecream with the children" car. My wife is trying to claim the rights for it too :lol: Let's see about that :?

It seems to exist 29 Elite 74-82 here in Sweden but only 9 of these are road worthy and MOTd and legal to drive. This is one of them. It's a RHD car.

I think this Elite will be kept as original as I can. However, I said the same thing when I bought the Elise and that's not standard at all anymore... But I will definately try. Engines are a bit of "my thing" so it's difficult to keep the hands off.

lahi
Verified Poster

Post by lahi »

Pete Boole wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 19:51
Yep - welcome lahi. Great selection of cars! 8). Which supercharger have you fitted to the Elise? I'm building a supercharged 912 engine for my Elite, but it's an old-fashioned Eaton blower, so not expecting 322hp! The Elite is a lovely colour.

Pete
Thanks!
In the Elise I use a Rotrex C30-94 centrifugal supercharger so the behaviour of the compressor side is like a turbo compressor side but with instant boost. An lightly exponential boost curve resulting in very linear power curve that doesn't drop off at the top. It's hilarous to drive :lol: Also spares the transmission to have a boost buildup like that.

What's your power/torque goal for your engine?

lahi
Verified Poster

Post by lahi »

Lotus-e-Clan wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 09:08
Great car collection, Lahi!

Can't see a badge on the B pillar to denote if it's a 501, 502, or 503 (it's not a 504). Has it got power steering or air con?

Also, being a 75 car, the engine is likely to have "D" cams. In '76 they fitted "E" cams (and changed DHLA jetting and ignition curve) to give better midrange torque than the D cams. But I suppose you know a lot more about engine tuning than most, so I would guess you will be all over it before too long!

Welcome to the forum!
Thanks! :D

It's a 503 as it has power steering and air condition.

I have been doing quite a lot of engine tuning and engine development (and breaking them in dynos :lol: ) but I haven't really looked into the 907 engine design and potential improvements yet. Just owned the car for a month and there are many other things that need my time. But eventually I will look into it. However, the plan is to stick to standard but you never know :lol: Thanks for the information about the cams. I noticed there are quite a lot of tuning stuff available for this engine.

Pete Boole
Senior Poster

Post by Pete Boole »

lahi wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:46
Pete Boole wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 19:51

Pete
Thanks!
In the Elise I use a Rotrex C30-94 centrifugal supercharger so the behaviour of the compressor side is like a turbo compressor side but with instant boost. An lightly exponential boost curve resulting in very linear power curve that doesn't drop off at the top. It's hilarous to drive :lol: Also spares the transmission to have a boost buildup like that.

What's your power/torque goal for your engine?

It's a 2.5 litre (stroked crank) but will have a max rpm of 6k (ZF auto gearbox) so mainly aiming for torque. To be honest I don't know what to expect - hopefully about 250 - 260 hp and 230 - 240 lbft. It will be a while before I find out though - typically glacial progress on the rest of the restoration!

Pete

lahi
Verified Poster

Post by lahi »

Pete Boole wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 17:17

It's a 2.5 litre (stroked crank) but will have a max rpm of 6k (ZF auto gearbox) so mainly aiming for torque. To be honest I don't know what to expect - hopefully about 250 - 260 hp and 230 - 240 lbft. It will be a while before I find out though - typically glacial progress on the rest of the restoration!

Pete
That power and torque will give a significant change in performance. What Eaton charger? M62 or M90 perhaps?

Here's a vid with my Rotrex charged Elise S2. Here I hade some belt slipping so in the dyno I got 276 hp at 6500 (that's the rpm where I had the belt slip) but I managed to solve that so after this video was made I got the 322 hp at 7500 run in the dyno. Goes quite well anyway. It's in km/h. So 100 km/h = 62 mph. 140 km/h = 87 mph
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30D98dnUSFA

Pete Boole
Senior Poster

Post by Pete Boole »

lahi wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:38
Goes quite well anyway.
I'll say!! Excellent! 8)

It's the M62 supercharger - it will be air-to-water intercooled (chargecooled) as well, keeping the air path as short as possible, and drive-by-wire. Probably using a Link ECU.

Pete

rbgosling
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Midnight Blue
Year: 1990

Post by rbgosling »

Welcome Lahi! Good to have another professional engine designer in the group, and on something so exotic. That's my business too, I design engines for Mercedes AMG HPP - that is the Mercedes Formula 1 division. Somehow I've resisted the temptation to improve the engine in my Excel SE, other than a full strip and rebuild 5 years ago. Part due to wanting to keep it practical as an everyday car, which is how I use it, and part because I didn't have the money!
"Farmer" Richard

1990 Lotus Excel SE (Lilith)
2022 MG MG5 EV (not due to be a classic for quite a few years...)
2011 Nissan Leaf (Ragly - EV pioneer, must be due to be a classic one day)