New Member from Texas

If you spot one, shame them into owning up!!
If you are new to the Lotus position introduce yourself here. Please try to keep your the post to your introduction and your initial question/problems to the right formum.

Moderator: Board Moderators

supraholic
Junior Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: Blue
Year: 1986

New Member from Texas

Post by supraholic »

New member from of all places, Fort Worth, Texas. This LHD 86 Excel was imported from Switzerland in 2011.

I've been into Toyota Supras since the mk2 was introduced during my high school years. I could not afford a new Supra in high school of course and had to wait until after college to acquire this silver 85 pictured next to the Excel. I've had 11 Supras over about 30 years, some much nicer, but I'm most emotionally attached to this, the first one that started the madness.

I've known about the Excel since seeing it in magazines back in the 80s, but since they were not sold new here in the U.S. and so few produced in total, I assumed that I would never have a chance to even see one let alone own one, but after finishing a Corvette project recently, this 86 Excel appeared for sale halfway across the country at the same moment as I had a fresh space available. I just had to have it, made travel arrangements and was eventually able to make a deal.

I've spent the summer getting it ready for the Fall car show season now that its cooled down. I'm still in the process of becoming familiar with the Excel. Its still got a few minor issues that I will fix over time, but for now its at a point that I can drive and enjoy it. You can see in the picture above that its missing a timing belt cover and I believe possibly some of the bracketry (if anyone can help me source those parts would be most appreciated). But I am most looking forward to learning just how much it has in common with its Japanese cousin and now stablemate.

Phil
Phil - 86 Excel SE

John
Regular Poster

Re: New Member from Texas

Post by John »

Hi Phil, welcome aboard! Thanks for posting pictures of your Excel. Great looking Supra too.

You'll find there's plenty of Toyota in the later Excels: brakes, gearbox diff/drive shafts, door handles, steering column/switchgear and more. I think the gearbox is the same as the W58 fitted to Mk2 Celica Supra/Mk3 Supra.

Check out the on-line parts manual that is offered through this forum, there's a one-off charge for using it and it's a great resource for figuring out what goes where and it list's the Lotus parts numbers as well.

Cheers John

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Post by MetBlue »

Welcome Phil.
Lots of invaluable info in these pages and sure at least some info on how to run such a rare car in the States.
I'm lucky. I live only 30 minutes away from what is likely the biggest source of used and new parts anywhere. Unfortunately for you, it's not surprisingly in the UK.

Great you've mastered picture posting already. Your obviously very resourceful, which will stand you in good stead for the Excel. You'll enjoy it I know.

Will be good to hear your first hand comparisons with the Supra.

Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

Alan_M
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE, Excel SA, Elan SE
Colour: Red, red, white

Post by Alan_M »

Welcome. It looks a very nice car. Interesting to see the differences in the engine bay between RHD and LHD.

There is at least one, possibly 2 brackets missing from the front of the camshaft housing for the timing cover to fit to. There were various configurations depending on year and if it has A/C.

The best place to get new and especially used parts is Lotus bits - http://www.lotusbits.com they are rubbish at answering emails, you are best telephoning which can be a pain with different time zones. They will ship to USA.

supraholic
Junior Poster

Post by supraholic »

Thanks. I had emailed Lotusbits asking about a timing belt cover, but they never answered. I will make a point of calling. London is only six hours ahead so its not like I have to set my alarm and wake up in the middle of the night to call. :wink: I've already ordered a few parts through SJ Sports Cars and they seem pretty good. I'm sure I'm going to have some specific questions as I try to perfect this Excel and I will try my best to answer if I see any Supra related questions posted.
Phil - 86 Excel SE

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue

Post by MetBlue »

Phil
Matt is the guy you need to speak to at Lotusbits.
If you emailed xxxx.com, try again on xxx.co.uk.
I think you might have more success
Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

gusexcel
Junior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Year: 1987

Post by gusexcel »

Phil
Welcome
Is this the one that used to wear a Hawaii license plate but was really in, Uh, Ohio or something?

Very nice car.

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White

Post by Pete Boole »

Yep - welcome to the forum! Lovely looking car you have there :D

Pete

DavidOliver
Senior Poster
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1985

Post by DavidOliver »

Hi there Phil.
I know the States is a big place, been there a couple of times, but somewhere in the Staes you can find a Lotus Esprit and Excel Guru called Tim Engel.
On this Forum I believe he uses Esprit2 to sign in.
He can access you maintenance bits in USA and is a mine of very deep technical info.

Personlly I am a Lotus/Chapman freak living in Spain since General Franco times.
with Elite (wedge 1074) and Excel 1985 tinkering.

Pleased to have you on this Forum where you will find helpfull and knowledgeable fans.

Dave the cog.

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white

Post by bash »

Welcome, lovely car. Ive had mine for over 27 years and thro that time Ive been a lurker on the celicasupra forum. I dont think you will find anything too complicated and the Lotus engine is good for big mileage if maintained correctly.
You are in the correct place for reliable searchable info, unlike facebook.
Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

supraholic
Junior Poster

Post by supraholic »

Thanks Dave. I'll be on the lookout for Tim.

And yes, its the one that had Hawaii plates. Although the car was consigned to a dealer in Illinois, I believe the previous owner simply had a second home in Hawaii. How long he might have had it there I don't know but that would have been so cool to drive the Lotus on the big island. I visited Hawaii once. Around Fort Worth the closest thing we've got to a twisty road is when they set out construction barricades to form a chicane. :roll:
Phil - 86 Excel SE

gusexcel
Junior Poster
Year: 1987

Post by gusexcel »

supraholic wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 19:20
Thanks Dave. I'll be on the lookout for Tim.

And yes, its the one that had Hawaii plates. Although the car was consigned to a dealer in Illinois, I believe the previous owner simply had a second home in Hawaii. How long he might have had it there I don't know but that would have been so cool to drive the Lotus on the big island. I visited Hawaii once. Around Fort Worth the closest thing we've got to a twisty road is when they set out construction barricades to form a chicane. :roll:
Well, you got a really nice car
i saw it several times as LOG and it always looked great.

barker_001
Senior Poster
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1990

Post by barker_001 »

Welcome Phil!

I'm sure you'll enjoy the Excel experience, especially after having Supras. This forum is definitely the place to start when looking for information, although the Facebook groups are great for immediate contact, they are quite transient in nature and posts from the past quickly become hard to find. Not so here on the forum though, the search function is your friend... Enjoy! :D
Bryan

1990 Excel SE

"Look, there's a Ferrari..."

supraholic
Junior Poster

Post by supraholic »

Thanks. I rarely visit Facebook because of just that. I was on a couple of Supra email listserves throughout most of the 1990s and then in 2003, one of my friends suggested we start something called a "forum". I wasn't so sure. When somebody would post something really useful, I would print out the email and stick it in my Service Manual where it would be very handy to reference. Took me a while to warm up to the idea but since then, I've become a big fan of the automotive forum. I stopped killing trees a long time ago and now just use the search. :wink:
Phil - 86 Excel SE