Excel - My new daily Driver

If you spot one, shame them into owning up!!
If you are new to the Lotus position introduce yourself here. Please try to keep your the post to your introduction and your initial question/problems to the right formum.

Moderator: Board Moderators

KevW
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Year: 1992

Re: Excel - My new daily Driver

Post by KevW »

It's good to hear of an early Excel being saved Rafael. Excels do make viable daily drivers, mine is used 12 months per year and I'm not the only owner to do that. I use Maxxis AP2 all season tyres during winter.

On the subject of plastic coatings this may be of use to you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HRsD2x1wOk https://www.frost.co.uk/liquid-wrap-mat ... sol-400ml/
Kev W no.282

Oldtimer_Basis
Junior Poster

Post by Oldtimer_Basis »

"... mine is used 12 months per year and I'm not the only owner to do that." Good to read that... Daily-Drivers often have other Problems than Weekend-Rockets.
Yes, Maxxis isn´t as bad as everybody always says... and when youre doing a lot of Miles your´re not spending half a Fortune every 6 Months for the newest Pirelli Competizione Formula Cannelloni Tagliatelle.
Interesting Video... I thought, they basically all use the same Stuff, but there are Differences in Quality, apparently. We use a Brand called Paintsystems here, and they advertise it as a peel-off Wheel-Coat. Works so far... we´ve already used it on a Variety of Cars.

Oldtimer_Basis
Junior Poster

Post by Oldtimer_Basis »

Hah! I finally managed to upload Pictures by using another Forum LOL
Here they are (hope, this works):

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

Can't see the photos! Try again :D :wink:

Pete

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White

Post by Pete Boole »

Still can't see them Rafael. Can anyone else or is it just me?

Pete

Excel SA
Senior Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: White
Year: 1987

Post by Excel SA »

Not just you, I can't see them either, nor do the links don't show them - get a permissions error.

Neil

Oldtimer_Basis
Junior Poster

Post by Oldtimer_Basis »

Aaah... now I know what the Probelm is: I´m using a Link to a Forum, in which one has to log in first :(
Sorry, I wasn´t aware of that... have to find another Spot to place my Pictures...

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue

Post by MetBlue »

If you've got one drive, try instructions Alan did in this link.

.https://www.lotusexcel.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11571

Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

MalcolmH
Senior Poster
Model: SE
Colour: Calypso
Year: 1988

Post by MalcolmH »

Hi Rafael,

Based on the YouTube video, that's a lovely looking car.

In the 1980's I had a Mk1 Excel in that exact colour, but with the original 'gunpowder' coloured lower section. Personally, with the removable wrap I would try to replicate the dark grey. Or leave them red, as they currently are. I just have a feeling that black - even in silk finish - would look too harsh a contrast with the Calypso Red.

I've since owned 3 later-generation red Excels. The lower sections on those were the red body colour, but all had boot spoilers which serves to slightly elongate the look of the car. On the Mk1's, however - which don't have spoilers - I feel the grey does a perfect job of marginally reducing the perceived height of the car for a sleeker look.
"I never let progress get in the way of my reluctance to change"

Oldtimer_Basis
Junior Poster

Post by Oldtimer_Basis »

Yes, without the 2Color-Paint the Rear looks like a Galaga-Ship :lol:
I´m still not sure what to do... in other Words: It will stay that Way for the foreseeable Future anyway.
I´ll ask a Friend of mine which of these Photo-Dump-Data-Grabbers is the least worse Choice and then install it... I don´t really trust these "All your Data is safe here"-Cloud-Things...

ChrisJ
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: White
Year: 1989

Post by ChrisJ »

You are going to have to store the images somewhere on the Internet (cloud) to post the link here.

If you are running Windows 10 or later - you already have a cloud storage option right from your PC.

You do need to activate OneDrive on your PC - which uses the same Microsoft login that you use to login to your pc (email address + password). It's the "cloud" icon in the right hand side of your task bar (or the area when you click the up arrow to the right on the right hand side). I've been using OneDrive for as long as it has been about, and it is a great way of storing images for publication on forums, or anything that you might want to access from multiple locations. You can also set your phone to have OneDrive, which then will upload photos automatically to it as well.

Just follow the OneDrive instructions mentioned earlier - this is the correct link: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11571 the other one had a superfluous "." in it

Oldtimer_Basis
Junior Poster

Post by Oldtimer_Basis »

Hah!
I finally got a simple Idea how to post pics which everyone can see:
https://www.autoscout24.de/angebote/-87 ... 6563c15629
LOL
I typed in an astronomical Price because I don´t want to sell it anyway. The HP is just a wild guess - still haven´t measured it. You can also see the Result of my Mods on the Exhaust.

Greetz,
Raf

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue

Post by MetBlue »

Raf
We need to know more about the works you did under the bonnet.
A top strut brace. ❗Not easy when the fibre glass sits between the chassis top strut mounts.
What's the large air tank and how on earth did non of the extras interfere with the bonnet.?
Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

Oldtimer_Basis
Junior Poster

Post by Oldtimer_Basis »

The Picture is a little bit deceptive, optically: What looks like a Top Strut Brace is just the Part of the Bonnet-Lid, where the Hinges are bolted onto. Air-Tank? Do you refer to this semi-transparent, white/beige Container? That´s just the Solvent-Reservoire of the Windshield-Cleaner.
I merely installed a new Radiator, mounted a pair of Super-Extra-Cheap-China-Fans, got rid of the Air-Con, added a few new Parts and the Rest is more or less stock... well, except for all the Things we discussed in the "Adding Horses - Now or never" - Thread.