New Owner

If you spot one, shame them into owning up!!
If you are new to the Lotus position introduce yourself here. Please try to keep your the post to your introduction and your initial question/problems to the right formum.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Re: New Owner

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Well don't give-up completely. Yours might be soooo early that they hadn't got around to fitting vacuum ignition management until customers complained about cold start and part-throttle refinement? As I said in a previous post, presence of 104 inlet / 107 exhaust cams is pretty definitive (instead of a 107 for both inlet and exhaust for std engines) ...along with high compression pistons, obviously. So if you have to do the cam box gaskets you'll soon know.

And yes, in any case, and as Ray says, the std engine is still OK.

BTW. If at some point you have to have a new clutch I recommend fitting a light steel flywheel instead of the std heavy, torque-absorbing, flexiplate job, - the driving experience is definitely enhanced. I've gone a step further and fitted an electric water pump which releases more torque. Most Excel owners will tell you that it's not easy to break traction at the rear wheels even with an SE, and that was the case for my car until I fitted the EWP, 205/50/15 tyres and a light steel flywheel. :)
Peter K

Ray-s
Regular Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: calypso red
Year: 1988

Post by Ray-s »

Hi recommend taking seats etc out of car when you do the roof lining as the aged glue dust goes everywhere as I found out to my cost :shock: :oops: .. Took a lot of hard work to clean the seats ..
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Ray...
Why is there always bits left over ?

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white
Year: 1986

Post by bash »

Ditto, the old foam comes out like dust but put pressure on it and it turns into dirty glue, horrible stuff

Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

Jean Pierre Lunie
Junior Poster
Colour: Glacier Blue

Post by Jean Pierre Lunie »

Thanks everyone for all the help and suggestions - really appreciated - I'll keep you posted as I progress and ask for help when it's inevitably needed.

Reference the engine, it seems the mystery will run on for longer than who's H in Line of Duty! lol
It's not what you've got, it's the way that you drive it :D

Jean Pierre Lunie
Junior Poster

A picture at last!

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Nice colour.

Looks like yours is right on the cusp of the SE changeover model.

Internal dash and engine bay photo next please
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

Valley Boy
Verified Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Mediterranean Blue
Year: 1987

Post by Valley Boy »

JP
Love the colour.
Looks like a really nice Excel.
More photos please.....
Hope to see him/her in the flesh soon.
All the bset,
VB

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

Looks lovely! My first Lotus (V8 Eclat) was the same colour 8)

Pete

Jean Pierre Lunie
Junior Poster

Some pictures of the good bits, OK bits and the downright ugly bits, but to start with its the second best bit (because I can't photograph the handling):

But I love her, warts and all!

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Well looks like an SE HC engine. Later Cam covers. Forgot to mention twin coolant tank is a good marker.
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white

Post by bash »

Looks like you have the basis of a good car there, early SE with air con. Just dont try and do it all at once and get demoralised. Get it running well and then do the cosmetics, although I would do the roof lining to make it a nice place to be.
Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Yes the engine bay pictures do show SE landmark changes, so if it is a very early SE, it makes it a bit more special. Adds to the history of the marque. :D

Next you could have a look at the inlet cam belt pulley to see if you have a green timing spot (on the front next to the teeth) which should denote the 104 inlet cam is present. Best take the belt guard off first (twist turn-buckle catches 90 degs). A compression test would have been useful too IF the engine was new but given the mileage that might mislead.... still worth a punt though given the presence of SE spark plugs.
Peter K

DavidOliver
Senior Poster
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1985

Post by DavidOliver »

Definitely an SE.
On things to do how is the Timing belt, any doubt and change it.
You need to ensure whether the belt has rectangular or semi circular teeth.
I expect semi circular as it is an SE, it is very easy to remove the cambelt cover to find out.

Dave the cog.

Alan_M
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE, Excel SA, Elan SE
Colour: Red, red, white

Post by Alan_M »

Sorry to differ from the previous answers, but I’m not seeing anything there that is specific to the SE just things missing that would suggest it’s a non SE version.

My evidence and a few things to check -

Externally the body has non SE features. The rear spoiler is from a non SE, but it is possible, however unlikely, that the previous owner decided to swap it.
There are no rear spats, but again could have been removed by previous owner.

The engine - It’s a little difficult to see, but I don’t see any of the components that would control the vac advance for the distributor. Now, it has been mused the car may be too early to have this, but still be a HC engine. I believe your car was registered March 86, so is quite early. I would be interested in what your VIN number is to see how it compares to mine as mine was registered 1st November 85 and from the VIN mine was the 38th car off the production line after the SE started production. Bearing in mind that the non SE cars were still being produced and there is nothing in the VIN that delineates the 2 versions, so realistically mine was a very early SE and importantly it has all the correct SE vacuum system for the ignition and SE carbs, so I doubt any SEs were produced without this, although with Lotus anything might be possible :D

The engine numbers do identify which engine was fitted, so would be worth checking your V5 to see what that shows and compare to what’s in the car. It is the first 2 letters that will tell you.

Low compression
DC - STD
DD - A/C
DZ - PAS
DL - A/C & PAS

So, as yours has A/C I would expect yours to be DL

High compression
DA - HC
DB - HC & PAS
DN - HC, PAS & A/C
DP - HC & A/C

If originally HC, then would need DN code.

I have attached a few photos below that show what an SE HC engine should have.

Thermal ignition valve with 3 vac pipes attached located between intakes for 2 and 3 below throttle linkage

Two of these hoses lead to intake/carb for no1 as shown, the 3rd to the distributor

The carbs should be the powerjet DHLA 45D if HC, but 45E if LC. Look at the tags on the carbs. LC will be 5324A and 5323P and HC will be 5382A and 5381P

This is the extra power jet

Early SE HC will also have these vac take offs on carbs (later ones had 4 take offs)

Now, none of the above is absolutely conclusive as a previous owner could have modified, replaced or upgraded what was in there.

BUT, whatever engine you have, you still have a great car and the important bit is to enjoy it !!

Alan_M
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE, Excel SA, Elan SE
Colour: Red, red, white

Post by Alan_M »

Hawaiis0 wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 21:56

Well looks like an SE HC engine. Later Cam covers. Forgot to mention twin coolant tank is a good marker.
The cam covers were changed to the same type as the SE at the same time for the 86 model year, just painted black as per photos instead of red. The metal eared oil filler denotes engine number should be before 22903. So the cam covers can only tell us it’s a 86 model year, but not whether it is SE or std engine, unless the black paint is original which would denote a std engine. Later in the 86 model year the oil filler became the ratchet type located at the other end of the cam cover.