If you spot one, shame them into owning up!!
If you are new to the Lotus position introduce yourself here. Please try to keep your the post to your introduction and your initial question/problems to the right formum.

Moderator: Board Moderators

DavidOliver
Senior Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1985

Re: New Member

Post by DavidOliver »

Hi DOC. I am pleased you have found the Lotusbits document.
Lotusbits is sometimes hard to contact, here we use the phone to Mike.
In my opinion the Excel does not need top end power unless you intend tracking it.
The car is so light it would ne difficult to use full extra power for any length of time, and do not lose torque for power
or high revs for town driving, low car weight and low torque is not good at traffic lights. Should you lighten the flywheel?
Also in OZ what temperatures will you have, is A/C required, will big power need extra cooling.
Have a look at Waterless Coolant, seems it is an OZ invention. There are threads on this Forum.
You mention maintaining originality, Fuel Injection would be a giveaway, engine internals are not.
The 15 inch wheels only take certain size tyres, I am sure your OZ mates can advise on how to get the power down
in your particular conditions, And the stopping.

Just thoughts Dave the cog.

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

Hi Kemal

I'm building a 2.5 (stroked) 912 engine and supercharging with an Eaton M62. It's low down torque I'm after - the auto box will limit revs to ~ 6k. Mine is going into an Elite using an Excel SA gearbox but keeping the original diff. The ZF auto box and the Toyota W58 manual are both easily capable of handling ~ 300hp. Not sure about my diff though! I think the Toyota diff in your Excel would be fine. The standard Excel SE engine could be supercharged with just a change of pistons and a move to fuel injection. The tricky part is getting all the belts sorted at the front, especially if you want to retain aircon.

Pete

DOC711
Junior Poster
Model: Exce SE
Year: 1987

Post by DOC711 »

DavidOliver wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:21
Hi DOC. I am pleased you have found the Lotusbits document.
Lotusbits is sometimes hard to contact, here we use the phone to Mike.
In my opinion the Excel does not need top end power unless you intend tracking it.
The car is so light it would ne difficult to use full extra power for any length of time, and do not lose torque for power
or high revs for town driving, low car weight and low torque is not good at traffic lights. Should you lighten the flywheel?
Also in OZ what temperatures will you have, is A/C required, will big power need extra cooling.
Have a look at Waterless Coolant, seems it is an OZ invention. There are threads on this Forum.
You mention maintaining originality, Fuel Injection would be a giveaway, engine internals are not.
The 15 inch wheels only take certain size tyres, I am sure your OZ mates can advise on how to get the power down
in your particular conditions, And the stopping.

Just thoughts Dave the cog.
Some great thoughts Dave. Unfortunately I'm like a kid in the candy shop right now!!

DOC711
Junior Poster

Post by DOC711 »

Pete Boole wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 23:23
Hi Kemal

I'm building a 2.5 (stroked) 912 engine and supercharging with an Eaton M62. It's low down torque I'm after - the auto box will limit revs to ~ 6k. Mine is going into an Elite using an Excel SA gearbox but keeping the original diff. The ZF auto box and the Toyota W58 manual are both easily capable of handling ~ 300hp. Not sure about my diff though! I think the Toyota diff in your Excel would be fine. The standard Excel SE engine could be supercharged with just a change of pistons and a move to fuel injection. The tricky part is getting all the belts sorted at the front, especially if you want to retain aircon.

Pete
Sounds interesting Pete. What internals for a stroker.and what's everyday driveability like?

Pete Boole
Senior Poster

Post by Pete Boole »

I'm expecting everyday driveability to be great - it's what I'm aiming for - but it will be at least another year (or longer :roll: ) till the engine is in the car - full restoration going on. Having been in Lotusbits 2.5 n/a Excel demonstrator a couple of years ago it went really well. The blower will make the torque better at lower revs and suit the auto box. I'm hoping for good torque from below 2k all the way to the kickdown limit of 5800-6000rpm. In naturally aspirated form these engines are good for up to 9k rpm with proper prep. The crank/rods/pistons/CNC'd head etc.. are all from Mike Taylor at Lotusbits - very good quality. The steel crank is fully counterweighted. The Eaton M62 blower is from an early Mercedes SLK. Everything else I'm fabricating myself. I'll be using an aftermarket ECU to control the injection/ignition - probably one of DTA's soon-to-be-released new series of controllers.

Pete

AndyC
Senior Poster
Model: SE x2 + Celebration x2
Colour: Gold,blue and green

Post by AndyC »

I have an Excel SE that was supercharged and has FI fitted, on the dyno it gave something in the low 200 HP (210-220 IIRC) which would have been realistic had the head been gas flowed and exhaust etc done.
I think that the power could have been much better had they lowered the compression ratio, then they'd have had the possibility of what the Later turbo engines of the Esprits gave (264HP), with the added bonus of the belt driven supercharger not putting quite as much heat into the air as the very hot turbo.

Pete Boole
Senior Poster

Post by Pete Boole »

You're right Andy - the compression ratio defo needs to be lowered for forced induction. I've chosen 9:1 static c/r as I'll only be running modest boost and it will be chargecooled/intercooled (not sure which yet). The Mercedes from which the Eaton came is 8.9:1 static c/r. I'd forgotten about your car!

Pete

DOC711
Junior Poster

Post by DOC711 »

Sorry about the delay between replies. That’s what happens when we are literally worlds apart. I have decided to start with the exhaust. I’m going to try and get it done over here- failing that the ss unit from Lotusbits. I had the car up on a hoist yesterday and the current system seems to be a mismatch of a few trials. It seems quite restricted so I figured that would be a start. I’ll get the car us tuned after that and see where we are at. If the exhaust can’t be fitted without removing the engine, I’ll replace my cams, and get the head done at the same time. That should be a pretty good start I think. I have disc brakes all round which is good, but I might have a look at some bigger brakes. The interior has been booked in for next week and I’m hoping to have it back by 20/1. Getting a full leather interior, new carpets, dash and door trims. Headliner seems pretty good. Had some new tyres put on yesterday and it’s taken out the balance has taken out the wobble that I was experiencing.
Thanks for all the feedback, this newbie really appreciates it.

Pete Boole
Senior Poster

Post by Pete Boole »

If you're getting a bespoke exhaust manifold made get the primaries made to suit a ported head (for if you do the head later) - there's almost 5mm difference in the width between a standard and "ported" exhaust port.

Pete

DOC711
Junior Poster

Post by DOC711 »

That’s great advice Pete.
Just out of interest is the exhaust an engine in or out scenario?

Tanz
Senior Poster
Model: SE
Year: 1988

Post by Tanz »

Welcome to the forum Kamal! See if you can fill in your car details under your user name - just helps when answering your questions in the future :) Look forward to seeing some pictures.
Cheers, Phil
Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!

Pete Boole
Senior Poster

Post by Pete Boole »

DOC711 wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:02
Just out of interest is the exhaust an engine in or out scenario?
The whole exhaust except the manifold can be removed with the engine in situ - the manifold is another matter. It is significantly easier with the engine out. Rarely do all the nuts come off without bringing the studs with them or shearing the stud itself. Taking the engine out will let you asses the condition of the clutch/flywheel/rear crank seal as well.

Pete

DOC711
Junior Poster

Post by DOC711 »

Still working out how to post photos, but I have started posting some on Instagram @doc7eleven