New Excel SE Owner

If you spot one, shame them into owning up!!
If you are new to the Lotus position introduce yourself here. Please try to keep your the post to your introduction and your initial question/problems to the right formum.

Moderator: Board Moderators

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Re: New Excel SE Owner

Post by richardw »

I think Mr Rudd was absolutely right. A car is always more fun to drive if you can detect its limits before you reach them.

There was a talk last year at Castle Combe on the Elan M100. This is an extremely fine handling car. Apparently, at the dealer launch, it was reported that drivers did not find the car very exciting. This was because the car's limits were way beyond what they felt able to cope with, so they never had the thrill of approaching those limits in what they felt to be a controllable situation.

Thanks for digging out the Vale book Andy! By the way, I'm pretty sure that all Eclats (and subsequently Excels) had a single filler. It was only the Elite that had two.

Cheers, Richard

AndyD
Junior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1986

Post by AndyD »

Well, some good progress on my growing list of improvements. Both bumpers off and repainted over the New year period, lights refurbished, engine bay detailed and cam covers refinished among many other jobs.

Not been on furlough so have been putting a few miles on it to and from work - what a great car it is :D

It has rewarded me with an incontinent diff and this week fractured the lh silencer pipe on the way home. A chat with Mike at Lotusbits has a pair of output seals and stainless y-piece-back system winging its way to me now.

It's keeping me busy for sure!

Cheers

Andy

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White

Post by Hawaiis0 »

The diff may be the nose seal. Side seals can be done in situ. Exhaust joints look as they will crumble when the spanner hits like mine did. Looks as though it will weld up so a nice catch
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

AndyD
Junior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Calypso Red

Post by AndyD »

Cheers - nose seal looks ok, offside output well dribbly but providing good corrosion resistance to anything that side.

Output seals look easy enough, made simpler by having the exhaust off of course. Wouldn't fancy nose seal having done one on a land rover a few years back.

And yes both over-pipes look like they were previously in service on the Titanic... :oops: